Chapter 3

"Why would I come with you?"

He sighed. "If you don't come with me, I'll have to leave you to fend for yourself," he informed me. I let him guide me away. "How many family members need to know about this?" he asked, heading toward the parking lot.

"Just my aunt," I answered.

"Where's your car?"

"Over here." I led him to my Mustang. "I'll drive."

He climbed into the passenger's seat. "Where is your aunt?"

"At work. It's not far, maybe a mile." I started the car.

"Hurry up, we need to get to Safe Haven," he urged.

I jerked the car back and drove out of the parking lot. "What's the haven?"

"Safe Haven," he corrected. "It's a home for demigods. It's there to keep us all together. We are safer in numbers," he explained.

"I'm having a hard time believing this," I told him.

"Well, you should believe it. It's your history." He was staring at the little rundown shops along the road. They were dirty and falling apart. The colors on the siding had faded, leaving them dull and grim. The owners hadn't taken proper care of them.

"Please, explain things to me," I begged. "How could these stories be real? They are called myths for a reason."

"It is safer for everyone to think they are myths," he started explaining. "What humans don't know can't hurt them." I didn't like the way he said humans. He emphasized it like we weren't one of them.

"We're here," I announced, driving into the café parking lot. As soon as the car pulled to a stop, Dylan jumped out of the car.

I quickly followed behind him. "You're explaining all of this to her," I told him as we walked through the front door. A bell rang as the glass door closed behind us. I looked around, but didn't spot her anywhere. I jogged up to the front counter. "Do you know where I can find Meg?"

The lady looked up at me. Her skin was dark and her hazel eyes sparkled. Her jawline was well defined and her bright pink lips matched the scarf tied around her neck. "I'm sorry, but she left earlier today. She wasn't feeling well," she informed us.

"Thanks anyway." Once Dylan and I made it back outside, we sprinted for my car. "Is it normal for her to leave work early?" he asked pulling himself into the car.

"No." Once again, I started the car and quickly drove to the highway, trying hard not to exceed the speed limit. "Don't worry, her house isn't far from here."

"Why don't we go talk to your mom or dad?"

I took a deep breath. "I don't have parents. Not anymore."

"What happened?" he asked.

"My dad left us and soon after, my mom passed away," I informed him. "I live with Meg."

"I'm sorry," he offered sympathetically.

"It's okay, I guess." I heard him sigh, but I didn't dare make eye contact. A few minutes passed without us saying a word.

"I don't believe I got your name," he spoke up after a short while.

"My name is Riley." I finally glanced at him. His eyes were the color of blue sapphires, big and bright. He nodded and the corner of his lip curled up. He looked back through the window and watched the small town pass by. It wasn't long before I pulled the Mustang into my aunt's driveway. We ran through the front door.