Chapter 51

My eyes snapped open as loud banging sounded from downstairs.

I lay unmoving, checking to see if it was just my imagination, but after hearing it once more, I climbed out of bed. Grabbing a jacket off the floor, I slipped it on and zipped it up. Letting my paranoia overwhelm me, I twisted the charm on my bracelet. I gripped my bronze trident with one hand and slowly tiptoed into the hallway, creeping down wooden stairs and toward the noise.

I heard it again coming from the front of the house, and the closer I got, the harder the pounding became. Peeking out the window, I saw two shadows standing outside of my door. Tightly gripping my trident in front of me, I unlocked the door. After counting to three, I swung open the door and pointed my weapon toward the beings outside.

"Whoa!" Kyle threw his hands up, surrendering.

"What are you doing?" Dylan yelled.

I stared at them as they stood in the pouring rain. Kyle's clean white T-shirt and jeans were soaked, and the rain flowed down his favorite black leather jacket. His charcoal hair was drenched and stuck flat against his head.

Dylan's soaked navy-blue jacket and jeans clung to his skin, and his drenched brown hair hung over his eyes. "Aren't you going to let us in?" Dylan asked.

Suddenly lowering my weapon, I nodded. "Yeah, sorry." I moved out of the doorway and let them walk through, before shutting the door behind them. "What's up?"

"I have some things to say..." Dylan said.

"Yeah, and he couldn't mention anything until the three of us were together," Kyle chuckled, throwing an arm around my shoulder.

The son of Zeus walked across the room and sat on the couch, clasping his hands in front of him and taking a deep breath. Kyle and I watched him, eagerly waiting for his words to be spoken. "I'm sorry," he confessed. "For everything." He searched our eyes, begging for forgiveness.

"Dylan..." Kyle started.

"Let me finish," Dylan interrupted him. "Please."

Kyle bobbed his head and gestured for him to continue.

Dylan looked at me, giving me his full attention. "I'd do anything to go back in time," he spoke. "I know I treated you like garbage...and when Drake was attacking you—I wasn't thinking straight. I was frozen—in shock from Aidan—and I still am, but I didn't mean for everything to happen the way it did." He transferred his attention to Kyle. "Kyle, I'd pay any price to take back those words I spoke to you in the woods. I was in a panic and didn't think before I spoke. I think of you as more than a best friend...you're my brother. I'm sorry for treating Riley the way I did and I understand if you don't want to forgive me." He looked back to me. "When I saw you dying today, I panicked. I realized in those moments that you thought I wanted you to be gone. I realized how much of a jerk I have been lately. I saw Kyle crying and doing chest compressions...he wanted to save your life. He cared about you and I realized I hadn't acted like that toward you," he told me. "I'm truly sorry. For everything." His eyes were glassy and his hands were shaking. "Please forgive me," he begged. "Both of you."

I nodded and answered instantly. "I forgive you."

Dylan hugged me. "I'll make it up to you, I promise." After releasing me, he shoved his hands in his jacket pockets and looked at Kyle.

At first, they only stared at each other; I was afraid they weren't going to make any progress. Then, Kyle sighed and hugged him. "Dilly, you know I do. I always do."