Chapter 35

None of us slept well that night. We were all lost in our thoughts, thinking about the next morning. Kyle and I forgave Dylan the evening before, after we'd arrived back at the hideout and for the most part, we were all getting along well.

The three of us had to get up in the morning and teleport back to Safe Haven. We were running out of time—the war was coming soon. Not a word was spoken about it, but we all felt it in our bones. I was surprised there hadn't been another attack that night.

The three of us were sitting on floor, wide awake, at around three in the morning. Silence shifted between us as the ghost of reality haunted our minds. "We can still do it," Kyle spoke up.

"Do what?" Dylan questioned, lifting his gaze from the floor.

"Run," I answered, not reacting to their words. "I think it would be useless now," I admitted with a shake of my head. "There's no point."

"Why do you say that?" Kyle asked with surprise etching in his eyes.

"My dad said that Aidan and the others have been watching us," I explained, gazing into his eyes. "We wouldn't get very far without getting attacked."

"Yeah," Dylan agreed. "It's too late for running. There's an uprising against the gods, and we're the only ones who can do something about it."

"Okay." Kyle nodded. He ran his hands stressfully through his straight hair as I watched the anxiety course through him. "We'll get help tomorrow at Safe Haven."

"By then we'll have to prepare for a fight," I told them. "When Terran finds out we are going to Safe Haven recruiting demigods, he will come."

"That's if he doesn't already know," Dylan corrected.

#

The next morning we prepared ourselves to leave for Safe Haven. I was nervous about going back. What if Terran and Aidan are already there waiting for us? What if no one offers to help us? What if they all want to help Terran instead?

Dylan and Kyle had cleaned their swords earlier that morning, but I didn't bother since I had used mine only once. Walking outside, we found our fathers standing on the sand, waiting for us.

"We're here to wish you good luck. We won't be going with you," Zeus informed us.

"Why?" I asked, growing more nervous.

"We have to remain on Mount Olympus and prepare for war," Poseidon told me.

"We trust you three to stop the war; however, you're only teenagers. If all else fails, we will be prepared for an ambush," Hades informed us.

"I won't make the portal they want," I assured them. "I mean it."

"Riley, you can't promise that. Every hero has a breaking point," Zeus stated. The Big Three hugged each of us, and wished us the best of luck. "Farewell," Zeus spoke. "Make us proud."

"Come on, guys." Kyle pulled me and Dylan closer to him and gripped our hands in his. "You might want to close your eyes and hold on tight," he warned. I did so and waited for whatever was coming next. "Here we go..."

I felt air pressure all around me, like there were fans blowing at me from all directions. A few seconds later, Kyle told us we could open our eyes, for we were back at Safe Haven.

I immediately got lost in my own thoughts as I looked at the beauty of Safe Haven. The grass was as green as ever and the plants were perky and healthy. A week ago I was a clueless girl living with her aunt and now, I'm a demigod preparing for a war against the monsters, once told in Greek mythology. Only, they aren't myths. The whole thing repeatedly left me speechless. Even as I lived this life, it was hard to believe it all existed.