Chapter 42

I was then left with Drake. The son of Morpheus smiled and climbed to his feet. He had a cut across his cheek compliments of Dylan, which made me smile crazily. I thrust my bronze sword toward his chest, but he managed to jump back in the nick of time. "I see you're feeling better," he observed

Shrugging, I said, "For the most part." I ducked as his blade whisked over my head. I kicked my leg out and swept his feet out from under him. His head slammed into the tile, leaving a few drops of blood on the white floor. Gritting his teeth, he climbed back onto his feet, ignoring his pain. Behind me, a scream pierced the air. I quickly turned to find the source.

I watched Aidan pull a sword out of Travis' thigh. With one more attempt, Aidan stabbed his sword in Travis' stomach. I threw my hand over my mouth as blood dripped down his chin. Aidan pulled his sword out and Travis collapsed.

"Your friends are dying, Riley, and it's all because of you," Drake spoke bitterly.

My heart pounded in my chest and my hands tightened around the handle of my sword. I spun around so fast Drake had no time to react. In the blink of an eye, I had disarmed him and pointed my sword at his chest. "None of this is my fault," I told him in a low tone. "None of this would've happened if it weren't for Terran. He started this whole thing." I stared into his cold, brown eyes. "You and Aidan are ignorant for being his allies."

Drake didn't say a word. I looked behind him, searching for Dylan and Kyle. Terran had a circle of fire around him, as did the two cyclops that were supposed to be protecting him. Kyle had his sword in hand and was sprinting back into the fight, with Dylan close behind.

"You better go help your friends," Drake suggested, nothing but calm throughout the situation. He acted as if the sound of fighting were music to his ears.

Before I could question his statement, a loud grunt of pain sounded from behind me. I stared at Drake with fearful eyes. A psychotic smile crept along his lips as I looked over my shoulder. Seth lay motionless on the tiles beside Travis with a puddle of blood settled around his head.

My heart continued to pound in my chest. Suddenly, I was shoved from behind. Falling to my hands and knees, my sword skidded across the floor, out of my reach. I quickly flipped onto my back just to have a sword point inches from my face.

Drake smiled. "Your friends are going to die, Riley." I shook my head as my chest began to ache. "Two of them already have," he added.

Movement behind Drake caught my attention. It was Dylan sneaking up on him. I quickly looked back at Drake so he wouldn't notice my averted attention.

I kicked upward and knocked the sword out of his hand. I shoved him back and stood up. Instead of fighting back, Drake only smirked.

Dylan's eyes widened. "Riley, duck!" he screamed.

Without hesitating, I crouched down as fast as I could and a blade whisked over my head. I reached out, my weapon flying back into my palm. The figure behind me swung his sword around, attempting to hit me in the head with the flat of his blade once again. Before he had the chance, I thrusted my blade upward and my sword stabbed into his stomach. Immediately realizing what I had done, I pulled my sword back out.

He dropped his weapon and reached for his wound as he doubled over. That is when I saw his face. I had just stabbed Aidan.

He looked at me with fearful eyes and gasped for breath. Blood covered his hands as he held his own wound. I stood there frozen as he coughed up blood, splattering red all over the broken white tiles. It wasn't long before he was lying motionless on the floor.