Chapter 21

"How did you know I could keep us from sinking when we jumped on the wave?" I questioned.

"I didn't have a clue you could do it," he admitted with a chuckle. I looked back at him wide-eyed and his smile grew. "I figured if you thought I knew what I was talking about, then you would believe me. And I was right. You believed me, leading you to believe in yourself."

I smiled and shook my head. The training area was a huge green field with a wooden shack sitting off to the side. It was perfect weather for a training day: the sun was beginning to shine bright—warming my skin—and there was a slight breeze, which quickly cooled you off if you felt overheated.

We walked through the sea of green grass to the small shack and Kyle opened the door to reveal loads of weapons. Unlike the weapon room in my house, this shack had multiple types of weapons—all of them made in different ways and in different sizes.

"That's a lot of weapons." I pushed the button on my trident.

"Don't stress out." Kyle smiled. "Right now, you need to concentrate only on self-defense. You'll learn more as time flies by. In a few years, you'll be experienced with each one of these weapons."

I looked up at him. "You're enjoying this, aren't you?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "Getting to be the teacher?"

"Well, I'm going to take a little advantage of this. My dad started training me when I was young." He laughed. "Now it's my turn to take that role."

"I guess that's what you get for being daddy's little boy," I teased him.

His smile softened. "Just wait until Poseidon sees you," he spoke. "I can promise you he'll be the happiest man in the world." He paused. "How long has it been, anyway? You know, since the last time you saw him."

"Eight years and sixteen days." I saw his settled expression and shrugged my shoulders. "I've been counting."

"Yeah, no kidding." Shaking his head, his smile faltered. "I'm sorry. I don't know how I could go that long without seeing my dad. He lets me go into the underworld to see him whenever I want."

"How about we start that training?" I changed the subject with a small smile.

"Glad you're ready." Kyle pulled his sword out of its scabbard as I followed him toward the center of the grassland where there was a large, flat section of cement. "First things first, I should let you know that I can't teach you much about your trident. It's your custom weapon, so only you can figure it out, but I will try to help you the best I can." Kyle gripped the black handle of his sword and held it in front of him, toward me. "Draw your sword."

I twisted my charm then pointed my trident at him. "Xiphos." The trident transformed into a bronze sword in seconds.

Kyle gasped over-dramatically. "I wish my sword could do that."

"I don't think it'd do any good, considering your weapon is already a sword." I chuckled.

He rolled his eyes. "I didn't mean it like that. I wish it could turn into something else, like...a keychain or a coin."

I raised an eyebrow. "It'd be pretty easy to lose a coin." I smiled, keeping my sword pointed toward him. "Knowing you, you'd accidentally spend it in a store," I teased him.

He grinned, slipping me a playful glare. "It can be pretty easy to lose a bracelet too." He repositioned his sword, so it was now pointed at my chest. He was ready to start training. "Okay, the first thing you need to know is to not let your guard down. Keep your sword in front of you and don't let your opponent get an open shot at you."