Chapter 14

We laid there for a few hours, pointing at clouds that looked like animals and objects. We laughed at each other's comments and joked about how neither of us had a very good imagination. We talked about my dad and what I remembered of him. Dylan talked about how he met him a few times and explained what he was like.

After a while, we decided it was time to leave. "Do you want to come to my place?" he asked. "I can make you dinner. I would offer to take you somewhere...but you know, you kind of have a bounty on your head for the monsters."

"As great as that sounds, I think I'm going to go to Poseidon's house. I'd really like to see it," I said, looking down at my feet.

"Oh. Do you want me to come with you?"

"Actually, I'd like to be alone," I said and finally met his eyes. "But you can visit in the morning."

He nodded. "Then, I guess I will see you tomorrow."

"Yeah." I nodded. He smiled and walked away toward his house. I watched him glance back to me one more time, before flying up the hill.

#

Once I had made it to the lake, I noticed how beautiful it was. The sun was reflecting off the blue, still water. In the center of the lake, a boardwalk led to a little island, barely big enough to hold the house. The two story home was built from logs and had a trident carving on the front door. I walked onto the board walk. As I was walking across, I already felt at home. Being around the water calmed me. "Welcome home," I told myself. I opened the log door and walked inside.

The doorway opened into the living room. A navy blue couch and a reclining chair sat in the corner and a few swords decorated the four walls. A flat screen TV hung on the opposite wall and a wooden coffee table was placed in the center of the large room.

Other than the living room, on the first floor was the kitchen, weapon closet, laundry room, guest bedroom and guest bathroom. I found the staircase at the end of the hallway and made my way up to the second floor. I found another hallway with three doors.

Inside the first door was a master bedroom, with a connected bathroom. A king size bed was pushed against the wall, concealed in a blue bed spread that had a white trident printed on the front. The room also held a walk-in closet along with a dresser and desk.

The second door contained another master bedroom. This room had a queen size bed, covered by a white comforter with a blue trident printed on it. Beside the bed was a white bedside table with a picture sitting on top of it.

It was a picture of my mom, dad and me. My mom's long blonde hair was curly and hanging over her shoulders, while her brown eyes sparkled in the sunlight. I picked the picture up and admired it. My father had one arm around her small frame and his other hand rested on my shoulder. His light brown hair was cut short and his blue-green eyes glinted with happiness. After a few moments, I laid the frame down.

I fell back first onto the bed and took another glance around the room. Leaning in the corner, was something I hadn't noticed a few moments before. A real, full size trident. I climbed to my feet and picked it up. The bronze was metallic and glimmered in the sunlight shining through the window. Getting a closer look, I noticed engraved lettering on the handle. "Happy Birthday! Love, Dad," it said.

My birthday was tomorrow. With everything going on, I had forgotten about it.

On the very bottom of the handle was a button. I pressed it. In response, the trident transformed. The next thing I knew, the weapon I once gripped in my hand was a bracelet wrapped around my wrist. It was a now a bronze chain, with a trident charm hanging in between two pearls.

The charm looked as if it was barely hanging on the chain. It looked loose, so I messed around with it. After twisting the charm, thinking the charm would tighten between the beads, the bracelet transformed back into a trident. I smiled and sat the weapon back down.

I picked up a note laying on the floor, next to it. It read, "Dear Riley, I hope you like the trident I left you. It is an exact replica of mine, just not quite as powerful. It will make it easier to train yourself with your powers. If you say 'Xiphos' it will change to a sword and the button on the bottom of the weapon will make it transform back.

"I'm going to leave it up to you to figure the weapon out. Using it, you will come across powers you wouldn't have if you didn't use it. I will give you a head start and tell you one. If something happens and you drop it, or if you throw your trident at a monster, it will fly right back into you hand.

"There is a reason for everything. Remember that when you look back on your past and ask questions. Love you. Dad.

"P.S. There is an engraving on the handle, if you haven't seen it yet."

I placed the note beside the picture sitting on my nightstand. I couldn't get over how beautiful the trident was. "Xiphos," I spoke aloud. Right before my eyes, my trident transformed into a sword. The sword was bronze and had the same engraved lettering the trident had. I observed it for a minute or two before turning it back to the bracelet.

I walked back into the hallway and moved on. The last door on the second floor was small and empty. I would have to think of a way to put it to use later on. I made my way back to the first floor and realized I had one more door to explore.

I walked through the door and found a flight of stairs that descended to a lower floor. I entered a room with a glass ceiling, floor and walls. I was in an underwater room. There were fairy lights strung around the ceiling, giving the room a relaxing vibe. Four blue bean bag chairs sat in the center of the floor, adding to the relaxing atmosphere.

I watched the social fish swim in circles and the passive turtles mind their own business. I could see far out into the crystal clear water. When I looked down, I could see the bottom of the lake about ten feet below and when I looked up I could see the surface.

I decided to go back upstairs and outside. I walked on the sand bank and around to the back of my house. I walked out onto the big deck that hovered above the water and took in the view. I could see the rest of the lake and the trees that marked the edge of Safe Haven. The sun was setting over the trees, leaving an orange tint in the cloudless sky. It would've made a beautiful photograph.

I twisted the charm on my bracelet, bringing my trident to its full size and reread the engraving on the handle. I looked across the lake and remained lost in my thoughts. I had to figure out how to use this weapon. I supposedly had powers that I had to learn to control, too. Last week, if I would've been told all the things I know now, I wouldn't have believed it. I still wasn't so sure I did now. "I don't know if I'm capable of being your daughter, Poseidon," I spoke aloud.

Secretly, I hoped he would answer me back. I knew he wouldn't, but I couldn't help myself. I wondered why he never came back to me. He used to come at least once or twice every two years. I had thought he was always traveling with his job, until I found out he was a god. Mom died and he didn't even come to the funeral. I didn't think it was possible to be so angry at someone, yet miss them just as much.

I walked with my trident back inside and made sure to lock the door behind me. I found myself going upstairs and into my bedroom. Instead of laying the trident down, I felt the need to keep it with me, so I pushed the button.

With it in its bracelet form, I climbed into bed and laid down. I stared at the picture on my nightstand. The mattress was much more comfortable than the one I used to sleep in at Meg's. I couldn't help but give in to the exhaustion and close my eyes. It wasn't long before I fell asleep.

***

Thanks for reading!

Thoughts??

I hope you enjoyed:)

Vote!

**Until next time:)) ~Emily