Chapter 7

It was a beautiful day in Safe Haven. There wasn't a cloud in sight in the baby-blue sky and the birds were out chirping. The air was a little chilly, but the sun rays warmed my exposed skin.

The first house we walked up to was the Hestia house. It was an average, two-story red-brick house with flower pots placed on the windowsills and a green garland over the door that gave a welcoming feeling to the property.

"Hestia is the goddess of family and hearth. Her children are nice compared to some of the other demigods you will run into," he chuckled. I followed him to the front door and stood next to him as he knocked thrice. Able to get a closer look, I noticed a heart carved in the center of the wooden door.

The front door then opened and revealed a girl my age. Her curled platinum blonde hair was cut to her shoulders and her light brown eyes were large and flattering. She had on a blue V-neck shirt with a white tank top underneath, paired with dark-washed skinny jeans. Behind her, inside the house, I could see about a dozen teenagers laughing and enjoying a good time.

At the sight of Dylan, the girl's face lit up. "Hey, Dylan." She smiled.

"Hey, Sabrina," Dylan voiced awkwardly. Along with a glance, he gestured toward me. "This is Riley. She showed up yesterday."

"Oh." Sabrina vaguely glanced at me, not paying me much attention. "Well, welcome to the haven."

"Thanks," I muttered under my breath with an awkward nod.

"We better go," Dylan urged. "Can you tell the others about her arrival?"

"Sure. Maybe I will see you later?" Sabrina hinted.

He scratched the back of his head and looked at me. "Sorry, but I have to get Riley settled in," he replied quickly. He turned and gripped my forearm before pulling me off the property.

"Bye!" she shouted from behind us.

Once we were almost to the next house, he slowed down and released my arm. I started laughing. "What?" he questioned me.

"You love being around her," I said sarcastically.

He laughed and quickly explained himself. "She's interested and I'm not."

I nodded, understanding. "I'm guessing you're the big shot around here?" I inquired. "I mean, being the son of Zeus and all."

He shrugged. "You could say that."

I followed him to the next house which belonged to Athena. The house was painted a faded pink and had a carving of an owl on the door. Once again, a girl answered the door who had a crush on Dylan and we left quickly.

Then we came upon Apollo's house. An arrow was carved into the wooden door. The building's exterior was painted a deep burgundy and had black shutters on the small windows. Dylan knocked and a tall boy answered. His medium blonde hair was styled neatly and his dark green eyes were intoxicating. He wore a yellow shirt over his small frame and loose-fitting khaki shorts.

"Hey, Dylan." The boy gave him a fist bump.

"Hey man, this is Riley. She came here yesterday," Dylan spoke glancing at me. "Riley, this is my best friend, Aidan."

Aidan smiled and shook my hand. "Who's your godly parent?" he asked, starting friendly conversation.

I shrugged. "I don't know yet."

His light smile faded. "What do you mean?" he asked. "Usually your parent is the one who brings you here."

"I found her while I was in town yesterday," Dylan explained. "Listen, we still have a lot of the houses to go to, so we can't stay. We can hang out at my place tomorrow and eat lunch if you're up for it."