Chapter 46

Dylan ran up from behind us. "I hate it when he does that," he grumbled, brushing dirt off his knees.

"Typhon has to have a weakness—everyone has one," I stated. What was he limited to? What was the extent of his capabilities? "He doesn't know how to fight," I blurted.

"What? He was in charge of Safe Haven for five years; he knows how to fight," Dylan insisted.

I shook my head, disagreeing. "I don't think he does. All he has done is swing at us."

Kyle shrugged, looking up at the monster. "In his defense, he is thirty feet tall. You can't do much at that height."

"Of course he can, he's thirty feet tall," Dylan argued from the opposite point of view.

Typhon laughed and offered us a tip. "If you want to have a chance at winning, you're going to have to stop arguing."

Kyle threw his arms out in front of himself and slowly raised them. As he did so, fire surfaced on the dirt and enclosed Typhon in a circle of flames. I pointed my trident at the fire and the ground exploded inside the circle. The earth cracked even more around us. Our enemy stumbled, then landed on his back in the flames and bellowed in pain. Dylan and Kyle fell back from the earth's rumble also, leaving me standing alone.

"You've got to stop doing that!" Kyle spoke through gritted teeth.

"What else am I supposed to do? I don't see any water around here!" I said as they stood up.

Thunder boomed through the air as rain descended from the clouds, pouring all around us. The water droplets were cold on my skin and in seconds, all four of us were soaked. I shivered. "How's that?" Dylan asked.

"Great. Thanks." Kyle glanced at the two of us and opened his mouth to say something, but then thought better of it.

Typhon roared louder this time, filling our ears with the sound of his anger. Kyle raised his arms once more, carrying the orange flames higher into the air, but the fire flickered at the touch of the rain. The flames wanted to descend back to the ground, but Kyle pushed them higher.

I closed my eyes and tapped into the water around me, imagining all the water merging together into one giant wave. A few seconds later, I opened my eyes and saw just that.

I pointed my trident toward Typhon and the wave shot across the fire, crashing head-on into the monster. The fire ascended right back into the air after the water passed. Typhon gritted his teeth, as the excess water dripped off his broad shoulders.

He shook the water off his hands and smiled from ear to ear before he charged directly toward me. Kyle threw his arms back up into the air, forcing the fire higher and blocking the monster's path. The monster roared and ran through the wall of fire. I tried running out of the way, but he was too fast. He kicked his leg out and I was thrown backward into the woods. Pain coursed through my arm as it hit the trunk of a tree, and I cried out as I hit the ground. Dazed, I looked up through blurry vision and saw Typhon walking toward one of my friends.

The boy noticed the impending trouble and attempted an attack. I watched from the ground as the boy flew into the air and stabbed the monster in the stomach. The monster winced, but gripped the boy and held him to his chest, holding a talon to his throat.

Kyle ran to my side, helping me to my feet. "Are you okay?" he whispered.

I ignored the pain shooting through my head and nodded as my vision slowly cleared. "I think so."