Chapter 11

We sat in the dark cellar for hours. As time passed by, the air grew colder and our stomachs growled, begging for food. Every now and then, something would move around outside or we would hear blurred voices, but they failed at finding our exact location.

"How did you know there was a cellar here?" I asked Dylan, propping myself up on my elbows.

He looked in my direction. "My sister and I stayed here one night when we were on our way to Safe Haven," he informed me. I nodded, not wanting to carry the conversation. I figured he didn't want to bring back old memories.

We had been sitting there for almost twelve hours, according to Dylan's watch. "We can't hide here forever," Aidan broke the silence. "We will either starve or freeze to death and that's if the monsters don't find us first."

Another loud screech sounded from outside. "Yeah." Dylan nodded with a sigh. "We have to get out of here, soon. I say we wait overnight and go in the morning."

"Terran told us not to leave until he gave us the okay," I reminded him.

He shrugged in return. "I don't care. I'd rather go back to Safe Haven then waste hours in this cellar."

#

When we woke up early the next morning, we heard another loud crash coming from outside. Fearing for our own safety, we decided to sit it out in silence. At nine, it had almost been one hour since we last heard any noise coming from the other side of the cellar door.

"It's now or never," Dylan said. The three of us were at the top of stairs, ready to go. Dylan pushed the door open.

He peaked out the door. "Wait here." I watched him take a step into the sunlight and look around. He walked out of our view as he left to look around the house. After what seemed like minutes, he finally came back. "All clear."

Aidan and I followed him out onto the soft grass. The sunlight hurt my eyes, after being in the dark for so long. After my eyes had time to adjust, I could see our appearances more clearly. Our clothes were wrinkled and covered in dirt from the cellar. We walked around the house and back down the alley in silence. I jumped out of my skin when Aidan's phone rang.

"Sorry." He laughed. "Hello?" Dylan and I quietly waited as Aidan listened to whoever was on the other end of the line. "We already left. Sorry. We are coming back the Haven. Okay...bye." He hung up and returned the phone to his pocket. "That was Terran. He told us to wait for Kyle at the breakfast café. He is on his way to come and get us."

"Then let's go get some food." Dylan turned and walked out of the alley, onto the street. Dylan jogged back over to the clothing boutique and grabbed the bags of clothes we had dropped. Aidan and I then followed him across the road and down the sidewalk. We were only a few blocks away from the breakfast place.

#

When we showed up at the breakfast cafe, Kyle was already there waiting for us. He leaned against the exterior of the building, with his hands in his pockets and a smile stretched across his face. "Want some food?" he asked us.

"We are starving," I said, following Kyle in. He led us to a booth that seated four people. Kyle slid in and gestured for me to sit beside him. I did as he asked, while Aidan and Dylan sat in front of us. The waiter came and took our orders.

"So where have you been hiding, since yesterday afternoon?" Kyle asked no one in particular.

"In a dark cellar with no food," Aidan complained.

"At least we were away from monsters," I mentioned.

The waiter came back and brought us each a glass of water. "You know, I've been thinking." Dylan sat up straighter. "I don't think it's the titans that want to attack us."