Chapter 4

After two hours of playing in the park and no Darius to be found, Deva knew it was time to go. Even with the sun still well in the sky, blaring down at them.

"Alcide it's time to go home." 

The little boy started to pout. "But why momma? I want to stay with uncle Marius." 

She could see Adamarius wanted the same. He was already falling in love with her son. Alcide has that effect on people. 

"It's almost time for your piano lesson." 

"I don't even like the piano," he cried. Alcide held on tight to Adamarius' leg. "Don't let her take me uncle." 

Adamarius laughed and bent over to pick Alcide up in his arms. "How about if you go to these lessons, then tomorrow I'll show you my ability?" 

Alcide's huge overbearing smile was confirmation enough of his cooperation. 

"And if it's ok with momma." Adamarius continued.

Alcide instantly went into puppy eye mode. Deva hated playing the bad guy but she knew it was a horrible idea. If Darius found out he'd kill her. No he'd kill Adamarius first then her. How could she let her husband's worst enemy hang out with their son? 

"I don't know Alcide. I'm not sure what we have planned for tomorrow."

Why was this tearing her to pieces. The frowns on both their faces were hard to look at. They started walking towards the castle. Alcide was still in his arms, telling every detail in his life story that Adamarius had missed out on. 

When the castle came into view they stopped. 

"Alcide go inside and find your instructor for your lesson."

Alcide hugged his uncle before sliding to the ground. "Bye uncle Marius. Thanks for playing with me." 

Deva could feel the warm acceptance Adamarius had for her son. It was melting the walls she had up for so long. 

When Alcide was out of hearing range Adamarius finally spoke. "He talks a lot." 

She shook her head. "I know." 

"Like you." 

"Hey," she objected. "I can be quiet...sometimes."

"I prefer you not to." He had missed the sound of her voice. He moved in front of her. "Deva how are you?" His deep sincere voice was more than pulling her in. 

"I'm fine." 

His jaw clinched a bit. "Even after all these years I can still tell when you're lying." 

She wasn't sure if he was tapping into her mind or if she was just that easy to read. 

"There's just so much going on. I just...I just want..." she was pouring out. 

"You want Darius there." 

She didn't know why she was confessing this to him. "He's king now. I just don't want his duties to consume him to the point he has nothing left for his family." 

His eyes were gold with sympathy. "Like Alcide." 

Unfortunately that was exactly what she was talking about. "Yes but I don't think he even knows he's doing it. Darius has lived for many years. I think he believes he has eternity with his son. I just don't want him to miss out on the most important years of Alcide's life." 

There was nothing he could do to sooth her worries. "You haven't told him you're a lycan." 

It was more of a statement than a question. "No, I haven't." It was a hard topic to bring up to her son.