Chapter 8

Darius found himself in Alcide's room, watching his son sleep. His little body rustled in the sheets, restlessly. 

Then he began to mumble feverishly. "Momma momma. Momma!" 

Darius pulled him into his arms, hoping to wake him from whatever nightmare he was having. 

"Shhhh it's ok Alcide," he rocked back and forth. "Dreams can't hurt you." 

"Dad, daddy. Where's momma?" His big eyes opened, worried. 

"She's still sleeping Alcide. What is it? What did you dream about?" Darius was an expert with dreams. 

He shook his head. "I don't have dreams anymore. I had a bad feeling." 

That was unusual. "About momma?" 

He nodded his little head into Darius stomach.

"I promise momma is just fine." Darius picked him up. "I doubt you'll go back to sleep now. Do you want to help me train since solders today?" 

His face went wild with excitement. "You mean fighting?"

The love for battle was definitely a trait he got from his father. Darius laughed. "Yes. " 

Alcide jumped up and landed on his feet before fist pumping the air. "Yessa!"

"Where did you get that from?" Darius found it extremely entertaining. 

"Uncle Marcus does it when he's happy." 

Darius shook his head laughing. "And here I thought your American mother taught you the art of fist pumping."  

After a small breakfast they went to the courtyard where his soldiers were waiting for their king. The night was finally broken by the sun and Darius was thankful for a new day. 

There were 50 men waiting his command. Forty five of them were vampires, the rest were lycans trying to prove their worth. 

Darius approached them calmly and full of prestige with Alcide by his side. His men were the fiercest creatures in all the kingdoms. They were brutal and personally trained by the king and his brothers. 

"Alcide these are the brave men that protect our kingdom when there's danger."

"Are we in a lot of danger?" 

With new kings coming to power and order being changed it was hard to tell. As king, Darius was cautious as ever to be prepared for the unexpected. 

"No. We're safe, for now." Darius then faced his soldiers. "Alright men. Let's give my son a show of what real men can do." 

Alcide was blown out of his socks with all the action. Darius used his ability to train his men. He took away some of their senses so that they could be ready for any kind of attack. 

Marcus then came out to lend his ability but it became more of a practice run. The soldiers crowded around as the two brothers went hand to hand combat. They were always an equal force, due to their diverse skills and wisdom. 

In the end the brothers laughed it off, calling truce. 

"A king that trains his own men. Impressive." Ilsa was leaning against a chair, her silhouette accentuated by the skin tight dress she was wearing.

"It's also the reason we're undefeated," Marcus patted Darius' back.

Ilsa snaked her way closer to the soldiers for a better look. "Only 50 men?"

"It's all we need," Darius was cocky with his answer because it was true. 

"I'm sure with your instructions they don't disappoint. Perhaps I need to be trained as well." Her flirtatious smile made him uneasy.