Chapter 13

Deva woke with a dry sickening rawness in her upper throat that burned with each movement she stirred. Her eyelids felt like steel plates holding her vision captive. A few minutes after gaining consciousness Deva forced her heavy eyes open. Only the small flickers of light emanating from the few candles lit the cave cell. She bit her tongue to keep the pain of her aching muscles at bay as she forced herself up. Gentle hands quickly halted her pathetic attempt. Adamarius hovered above her. 

Deva for the briefest second shut her eyes. "What happened?" She couldn't remember much. It was all a big enormous blur. She could still feel the treacherous pain thou. It was burned in the muscles, skin, and throat. 

"You blacked out. Sometimes the pain is too much and it takes over." His deep sorrow voice caught her off guard. 

Deva raised her gaze but wasn't prepared to see his bruised and scared face. There were claw marks running from his forehead to chin. When she drew her hand up to trace his wounds Adamarius turned away. 

She felt ashamed. "Did I do this to you?" 

"Yes." 

"Why aren't you healing?" 

He gave her a weak smile. "During the curse it's harder for us to heal. I believe were meant to feel the pain as we slowly creep to our deaths. It's easier to kill a lycan while under the Relic Moon." 

Deva straightened her back against the cold stone wall, the shackles dangling beside her. She couldn't believe she lost control. Now she extremely grateful she was nowhere near her husband and child. She didn't want to image what she would have woken up if she was.

Adamarius fiddled with her chains and finally released her from their hold. Freedom never tasted so sweet. Adamarius sat back down and sighed. The dark circles under his eyes made her feel guilty.

"How'd you sleep?" 

He grinned with a slight wince. "Like a baby. Can't you tell?" 

Footsteps were heard down the dark damp hall of the cave. From the corner entrance a petite girl with her blonde hair tied up approached Adamarius. She carried a bucket of water and clothes in her hands. She set them down and frowned before rushing to Adamarius' side.  

"Adam your wounds are really bad." 

"Yes I know." But he wasn't trying to sooth her worries. 

The way she was cooing over him made Deva think there was some sort of crush on him. The blonde, who looked no older then 19, pressed her hand to his face. He jerked away from her touch. 

"Thank you Mia. You can go now." 

It was obvious the girl didn't want to get up. Like a sick obeying love puppy the blonde did as he said and disappeared into the shadows. 

"She's cute..." He gave her a skeptical look. "And probably still in diapers." 

He grinned. "Yup I was waiting for it." Adamarius took a rag and dipped it into the water but before he could apply it to his face Deva took it from his hands. Then she gently pressed the rag upon his torn skin. He grinded his teeth to keep from screaming. 

"You look like hell." She hated that she was the cause of it. 

"Then you should look in a mirror." 

She shook her head to stop herself from laughing. The deep cuts on his face were deep and looked extremely painful. "You really shouldn't piss off a she-lycan." 

"I'll keep that in mind next time you want to claw your eyes out." 

She frowned. "I'm sorry I did this to you."