{1}

"Mom, can we go to the park after school?" Lauren asked her mother.

"Sure, if you end up being on your best behavior today. Can you do that for me?" She told her five year old daughter. "I don't want to hear that you have been misbehaving."

"Okay. Am I going to make new friends there."

"Absolutely, you just have to be yourself. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

Lauren couldn't wait to meet her new class mates, and she hopes to at least make a best friend. They made there way to the room Lauren had been assigned. As they entered the class room Lauren couldn't help but feel overwhelmed by the amount of kids that were there. Some where playing one with another, others didn't want to leave their parents side and looked like they were about to cry.

Lauren was still holding onto her mothers hand not seeming excited anymore. Her mom noticed her change of mood and knelt down in front of her.

"I might have packed something special in your bag before we left." She told her as she took out Lauren's favorite stuffed monkey out of her backpack. "He could keep you company, so you don't feel sad or scared." Before she could say anything else to her daughter, the teacher approached to introduce herself.

Lauren not interested in the conversation shifted her attention back to the other students. Her gaze landed on a particular hyper girl who seemed to just get along with everybody in the room.

"Well I better get going." Lauren heard her mother say as she turned her attention back to her five year old. "You'll be okay. Make some new friends that you want to play with." She said as she made her way out of the classroom. Lauren waved good by as she saw her mother leave from her sight.

By then all parents made there way towards the exit, leaving their kids behind.

Lauren sat down assuming that they could sit anywhere, but then she saw a boy walking towards her with a angry expression on his face.

"Hey! That's my seat!" The boy said.

Lauren immediately stood up to find another seat. As she walked around the table to sit down at another seat, the girl that was sat next to her didn't seem to happy about it.

"Sorry this seat taken." The girl said with an attitude. Lauren then walked away feeling hurt that people are being mean to her on the first day.

She hold her stuffed monkey close to her chest trying to get the comfort she usually receives from it. A few kids saw that she had the stuffed animal, and started to laugh at her.

"She still has a fake toy what a baby." She heard one kid say.

"Aren't you to old for that stuff." The Same boy who took her seat yelled across the room. Lauren felt tears in her eyes all she wanted to do was go home, this wasn't how she imagined school being like.

"Everybody be quite and sit down." She heard the teacher say.

By the time lunch came around Lauren spoke to no one. While kids where playing on the playground Lauren sat under a tree with her stuff monkey all by herself.

"Hi"

Lauren was startled by the girl who approached her. She then remembered that it was the hyper girl who she noticed this morning who was all over the place.

"Hey." Lauren said in a small voice. "Are you going to make fun of me, like the other kids are." Lauren said in a soft voice.

"No. Why would I do that I just want to be friends." The girl said.