{69}

Three weeks later

"Mom, is this necessary? You know how things are between Camila and I."

"What are you talking about, we do this every Christmas. Especially during this time of year is when we need to be there for each other. What ever little argument the both of you have going on can be put aside for the time being."

Lauren rolls her eyes in annoyance. It wasn't exactly a 'little argument', but she can't blame her mom for not knowing how serious it was since she's the one who refuses to talk about it. It was a surprise to her family when she showed up at their door step with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes like it use to. Her father and brother thought it was nothing, but her mom and sister knew something was up. Her only response was that it was a small disagreement they had. She didn't exactly want to tell them they broke up.

Mostly because she wasn't ready to say it out loud and admit it to herself yet.

It's been three weeks since she seen Camila or even talked to her. Lauren tries to keep herself busy with her family through the day and by night she falls asleep before her mind wanders.

Lauren is so upset with her that she doesn't even get the urge of wanting to check up on her. It makes her feel guilty that she doesn't. She's been at peace with herself of not having to worry about someone else. She knows the second she sees Camila that it would go away since she still loves her.

"Mom, Lauren's right we shouldn't have came. A Christmas letter would have been enough." Taylor adds.

Unlike Lauren's mother, her little sister knows very well what happened. Lauren didn't have to tell her that Camila was the reason she came back home unexpectedly. Like she said before, she knew Camila would hurt her.

And unfortunately she was right.

"You two better stop it." Lauren's father intervenes. "What's up with you? Before you would beg us to stop by. Don't you want to see Camila, it's been almost a month."

Lauren averts her eyes to her shoes.

Luckily before she could answer the door opened.

"Hi!" Sofia said excitedly.

Lauren hugs the eleven year old who is beginning to look a lot like her older sister as she gets older.

As they enter the home the scent of Cuban food hits them. Lauren feels a hit of nostalgia from her childhood when she use to eat dinner here.

"Hi! It's good to see you all." Camila grandmother says as she wipes her hands on a dish towel then proceeds to greet everyone with a hug. "It's so nice to have some familiar faces today, I was beginning to think I cooked all this food for the three of us."

"Three?" Lauren questions.

"Sadly Camila couldn't make it." She says with a sad smile. She was hoping the whole family could have been together but unfortunately Camila couldn't make it due to her job.

At least that's what Camila told her.

When Camila's father sat down everyone else followed and began to eat. Lauren was quite for the rest of the evening.

Lauren has no idea if she should feel relieved or not. She was dreading of running into her when she wasn't ready yet, but it's the holidays. No one should be left alone at a time where you should be surrounded by the people you love.

Then again the petty side of her scoffs.

Maybe she isn't alone.

As she recalls from what Dinah told her after their break up, Vero could be keeping her company again. At this point she doesn't care. They're not together anymore, Camila could do whatever she wants with anybody just like Lauren can but chooses not to.