CHAPTER ONE |✓

THE MAGICIAN.
chapter one

—♞—

   Catalina was not having a good morning, at all. Spilling her tea, her car breaking down, and having a bad hair day were just some of the things she had to go through this delightful morning. To top it all off when she asked her brother if he could drop her off somewhere, he straight up said no and that he had 'more important things to do'. What could possibly more important than being his little sister's chauffeur?

Left with no other option because flagging down a cab just doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Catalina is forced to call her techie best friend, Reid.

"Hello?" A raspy voice mumbles from the other line.

Catalina furrows her eyebrows. "Reid?"

The young blonde cringes as the latina on the other side of the phone clears her throat. "Why are you calling me at this ungodly hour?" Reid asks.

Catalina rolls her cobalt blue eyes. "Its 3 in the afternoon Reid."

"What's your point?"

Catalina rolls her eyes again before letting out a sigh. "Can you do me a favor?"

"No."

"Oh, come on! Please! I can't flag down a cab. I've had an absolutely terrible morning. Danny's being an ass. I spilt my tea. My hair looks like a shit emoji on my head. And I have to be somewhere really important in an hour with no car. Can you pretty please just get up and drive me there? I promise we could stop at McDonalds or something on the way."

Reid groans. "Ugh, fine but only if you buy me food and stop whining."

Catalina grins and taps her foot happily. "Deal! Thank you so much, I love you!"

"Of course you do I'm lovable. Now, where are you?"

"At my apartment, duh."

"I'll be there in ten."

   "Let me get this straight," Reid starts, her mouth muffled with a cheeseburger and one hand on the wheel. "You get a mysterious magical card with a date, time, and address and you just...go to it?"

Catalina nods her head. "Yeah," she says while throwing a barbecue dipped french fry into her mouth.

"Are you insane? On drugs? Drunk? Anything that could possibly mess up your logical thinking? This just screams creepy serial killer shit and right now you are basically the dumb blonde white chick who keeps screaming 'Hello?'"

Catalina rolls her eyes as the corners of her lips twitch into a small smile. "I think you're slightly over-reacting."

Reid shakes her head. "Um, no. I think I'm reacting very normally. Rationally, in fact. This is New York, Cat. Do you know how many serial killers there have been in this city and probably still are? We've had the Son of Sam, Zodiac, Jack the Leg Ripper, and so much more. Some of them undiscovered!"

Catalina turns to look at Reid with an amused smile. "Okay, two of those aren't even from New York and its Jack the Ripper, not Jack the Leg Ripper."

"Pfft, same thing," Reid tells the blonde while waving her hand, brushing away the comment.

Catalina rolls her eyes and crosses her arms. "Well if you're so worried, why don't you come with me?"

"I think the fuck not," She tells her friend while flicking a switch to turn on her blinkers. "If you want to go get yourself killed by some creep with a dumbass name go ahead, but I'm too smart for that shit. That's why there are never any Latin's in horror movies because none of us are dumb enough to go into murder woods or creepy ass houses. Nah, we leave that shit for the white people."