(File 1: Two times the Trouble) #1: Inside the Case

File 1 Two times the trouble

#1 Inside the Case

Mai ran towards the SPR van and proceeded to take the equipment up to their base at the Ukiona Highschool. Someone from the school had approached them only recently in a very upfront manner, earning the attention of not only the narcissistic boss but also the other regulars of the office.

A few days back

"So please tell me about your case," Mai asked the client from Ukiona High School, whose name was Reito Iwatobi the president of the student council. The twins were beside her and both had decided to let her do the talking which was so gentlemanly of them.

'I know what you mean Mai, Naru's the boss yet he makes you do all the work. He is such a jerk right Mai?' Gene suddenly interjected into the telepathy link we had. Mai scoffed at this thought because they were two peas in a pod. 

'I heard that' Naru said through telepathic conversation. Gene scoffed and just smirked at him.

'Whatever lil' bro' And they cut off the link. She just shook her head and put her attention on the case at hand. She had a vivid dream about the case but it still didn't click with her. Maybe she should ask Gene what her dream meant. Or maybe Naru. That would be nice.

"It's been a month since a lot of weird events occurred in our school some students have been seen doing reckless things but when we checked their testimonies as well as eyewitnesses, it seems that we were seeing two people with the same faces." relayed Reito and he continued on discussing the matter at hand. I somehow had the feeling this was going to be a tough case. As soon as he finished relaying Naru suddenly answered the question we'd all been waiting for.

"We'll accept the case. ." Naru said and I almost wanted to hug him. It was harder to make Naru accept cases these past few days. He seems kinda off but I think he just lost his interest or something. But right now I could see the spark in his eyes. Even though he was cold I know inside that Naru is kind and gentle like Gene. They were twins after all. 

"Alright!!!!" Gene said suddenly perking up with his fist up in the air. Reito was a bit shocked seeing as how people with the same faces have different personalities. I just awkwardly laughed at them. 

"Thank you so much!" Reito said and bid us goodbye after giving us the address of the school as well as the person to contact. 

I sighed inwardly and went to my own office as I segregated the files for the case. 

'Something wrong?' Naru suddenly asked me in his usual impassive tone. 

'I'm alright' I telepathically said to him and I heard a snort in between our links. I was sure that it was Gene scoffing. 

'You two should grow up' Gene said and a smile was surely gracing his features right now. I smiled to myself and continued to sort out files.

"Mai, tea" I suddenly jolted when I heard his voice coming from the door. I looked around and saw Naru looking at me intently. I suddenly remembered my dream

Everything went black and I knew this was the usual dream.

Dreamscape

A dark bluish glow surrounded me and I found myself in the middle of the hallway. I saw so many students piling into their rooms and no one seems to have taken notice of me. Suddenly I heard voices. With the same timbre and tone and it beckoned to me. I looked around and I was suddenly pinned to the ground by an unknown force. I rolled on my back surprised and in utter shock when I saw myself. . I tried to wriggle away but can't do anything. My replica had a knife and pointed it at my cheeks.

"I'm gonna be the one living in your life" it let out a maniacal laugh and stabbed my heart. I didn't scream for if I lose consciousness I'll be back in my own body.

Everything turned white and..

"Mai! Mai wake up!" my eyes jolted open and beads of sweat trailed my forehead. I looked around and saw Gene and Naru as well as Lin and Madoka hovering over me. Naru was cradling me in his arms. I felt the heat sear up in my cheeks and Naru helped me stand up.

"Thanks" I muttered and he just nodded.

"What happened? You suddenly fainted did you have a dream?" Gene asked and I nodded replenishing the memory of the dream. A replica was killing the original. Double Person? Evil Twin? I didn't have any of those.

"What did you dream of Mai?" Naru said while Madoka handed me a glass of hot cocoa. Lin had his laptop out and started typing.

I relayed to them everything that I remembered from the dream noting that the students had the same uniform as Reito.

"This case seems to take a turn for the worse. ." Lin interjected as I finished explaining my dream. We all turned to him with questioning looks while he gave us a serious one.

"What do you mean by worse Lin?" Naru asked impassively. Lin sighed and said the words that said it all.

"This is a Doppelgánger case. . And it's not a normal one."

#############################