(File 2: Haunted Carnival) #2: MAI IS WHAT?!?!

File 2: Haunted Carnival

#2: MAI IS WHAT?!?!?

NARU'S POV

"E-ex??" Gene suddenly asked Mai and Mai nodded. He seems to know something. Maybe he felt what I felt with this guy. He seemed strange. Rather I couldn't see him clearly. Maybe it's just the weather. These days began to fog because it was near December already. But something doesn't go quite right with this. What is it??

'Naru. Did you felt it?' I looked at Gene who looked at me and I nodded.

'Let's test him shall we?' I raised an eyebrow at him. There's only one way to know if he was weird or not. If he can deflect, absorb or do both with the energy we are about to release then there is something definitely different with him. 

MAI'S POV 

"E-Ex??" Gene suddenly said and I was confused. Naru was quiet while looking at Yuki. I don't know what he's thinking because he put a wall around his head. Is he mad? Is he sad? Is he happy or what?!?

"Y-Yeah. ." I said and saw Naru staring at me intently. What was he doing?? He closed his eyes in a way he would concentrate. A few moments of silence when I suddenly felt a jolt of energy in my body and the next thing I knew was I was slumping on the ground while clutching my chest. Naru. . Naru's hurting me?! WHY?!?!? 

"Naru stop it!" Gene said and he did. His eyes popped open and filled with concern when he saw me slumping on the floor. 

"Mai. . I'm sorry. . I'm so sorry. ." He said while cradling me in his arms. I suddenly cried and gripped his chest. 

"How could you do that Naru?!?!" I said and slammed a fist to his chest. He just hugged me tighter but I still cried. Why Naru? Why would you hurt me??

"Lin! Lin!" Naru called for his assistant and Lin came in shortly afterwards. He looked at Naru then to me his expression becoming alert. Naru sighed while I sobbed. My chest hurt. How could he do that. He never tries to hurt me. He even tries to protect me but now? What did I do?!?! 

"Is she okay?" Lin asked Naru and he nodded. I wasn't okay Naru! I wasn't! Naru handed me to Lin-san and he held me in a protective case. 

"Lin. . Protect Mai will you. ." Naru said and I was confused. What did he mean by protect me? From who?

"What are you doing here you Esper. ." Naru said and I knew what an ESPER was. We were all Espers. Like me I'm as Naru said a Clairvoyant, Astral Projector, Intuition user. Naru uses ki as well as PK same with Gene. Mostly all of the SPR members use ESP or Extra-Sensory Perception. ESP pertain to activities that is connected to the mind but not with the physical senses. 

Suddenly Yuki smirked and he became hazy. Am I seeing things? I rubbed my eyes and saw Naru had his death glare on with Gene by his side. They looked like they were about to kill. Lin clutched me tighter while Yuki was still smiling. He looked at my direction and I felt dizzy. I slumped on Lin's chest and felt my world go black.

"Mai!" Naru's voice was the last thing I heard when everything blacked out.

NARU'S POV

"What the hell did you do you bastard!" Gene said and he collared the guy slamming him to the wall. I saw Mai unconscious in Lin's arms and I felt irritated to the point where I wanted to kill the guy but I put that thought aside so that I would know who he is. 

"I did nothing!" he said and Gene punched him on the head. Ouch that has got to hurt. Even I get hurt when Gene punches me and he doesn't even use his full force on that one.

"Oww." Yuki said plainfully and Gene almost murdered him. I mind-linked my brother telling him to stop. 

'Can I just kill him please?' He pleaded while looking at me and I shook my head. You're not supposed to hurt anyody Gene. 

'No, we need him. He's an ESPER with a mix of something else I don't know what but we need to find out what it is. .' I told him and he nodded begrudgingly letting go of Yuki's collar and jogging up to Mai. He carried her bridal-style and I felt a twinge of irritation course through me but I put it aside. 

'He's safe. For now.' Gene said and walked towards my office which I know he would put Mai on the sofa. At least he'll put a blanket over her. Back to the subject at hand. 

"Unlike your brother you're a bit more civilized. ." Yuki suddenly commented while fixing his collar. He can criticize me all he wants but no one and I mean NO ONE will criticize my brother. I lifted my hand and threw him to the wall with psychic energy. 

"Naru stop it!" Koujo said but I didn't listen heck I''m willing to crush this guy to bits. First he did something to Mai then criticizes my brother. I may hate my brother but he's still the family that I have. 

"Uncivilized Psychics as always. ." he said and disappeared only to reappear beside me. He slammed his fist against my head and I stumbled a bit. Koujo held him back but he disappeared again reappearing beside me and slamming me on the stomach. Shit. 

"Sorry about that.." He smirked and sat down on the couch gesturing for me to sit down as well. Koujo assisted me while I clutched my stomach and looked at the smirking Yuki. I'm so gonna wipe that smirk of his face. I keep my stoic expression on and waited for him to speak. 

"I'm not here to wage war or anything, just wanting to let you know that Mai's. . the target. ." 

"Target of what?" Koujo asked with alertness present in him. He's always treated Mai like his own daughter or niece I think and he tends to always show affectionate feelings for her. Not that I care he's already going to be married to Madoka. 

"Target. That's all I'm going to say. Everything else is a blur but one things for sure. If you don't protect what's yours someone might snatch her away. ." he said with a forlorn expression and I can't shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen. Something that involved Mai. . I hope nothing happens to her. . She's. . my assistant. Yeah that's right. 

'Quit denying your feelings for her Naru .' my consciousness said. Wait I had a consciousness?

'Yeah dummy everybody does' and I just wanted to smack him on the face. 

'Stop it Gene you're making me sick' 

'I know you love me brother' he said and before and I could actually bad mouth the guy he cut off the link. Stupid. 

YUKI'S POV

So this is Shibuya-san. . He's strong. . but not strong enough to protect her. You don't know how much I've prevented them from coming in contact with Mai. Ever since three years ago when we met I felt a certain difference about her. And that's when ghost started to wander around her trying to call to her but she didn't seem to notice this. Her dormant psychic abilities aren't out yet and I try to keep it that way by making sure she doesn't come in contact with any of the unknown. But because of this SHITTY (Yes, I said SHITTY) SPR, Mai has become a target for all the ghost present in this world. And in the three years she's been working with them, she had improved her abilities but worsen her possibilities of being targeted. I've been observing them these past few months and every case they took would get Mai hurt or even her boss. 

You ask why I'm worried? 

Because I love her. 

Yes that's true. That's why I courted her, became her boyfriend, broke up with her even if it hurts, only for the sake of making her safe. 

And now it's about time to take back what I did those past three years. 

################################