Chapter Three - Dr. Smeagol and Ms. Gollum

I wake up to the enchanting and mouth-watering smell of pancakes. Always the best way to start the day. And the smell of pancakes can only mean one thing: Claire is home.

I glance at my watch and realize the clock already strikes 6. I force my tired body up and in a swift move I make my bed up. Almost 20 hours of 'sleep' doesn't do justice to my body. My eyelids are still drooping unanimously, my head is still pounding, and my legs are still killing me. 

It's Friday, Friday, gotta get up on Friday ...

The catchy song keeps ringing in my head as I drag myself to the bathroom to get a quick shower. Ever since I first heard it, I couldn't get it off my mind every Friday. It's one of those songs, you know? You don't really like it, but you can't get it off of your head!

One more day 'til Saturday, one more day to freedom. I keep telling myself that. One of the benefits of being an anesthesiology resident is having your weekends totally to yourself. No waking up early, no as-quick-as-Flash shower, no morning rounds, and no surgery. Well, unless there is an emergency. In that case, we physicians never sleep. Of course, I still have to check on John tomorrow since he's my responsibility. But, there is no fixed schedule for it and I can come anytime I want!

The sane part of me tells me to quickly head to the bathroom, but the smell of the freshly cooked pancake entices me more. I sluggishly change my direction towards the kitchen.

"Mornin'," Claire's high-pitched voice greets me.

Claire, still dressed in her lime-colored nurse uniform, stands next to the pantry with her huge long blonde hair let loose, cooking a deliciously looking pancake.

"Morning," I yawn.

I open the refrigerator and take a carton of low-fat milk out. I pour it into my mug as I stare at the photo printed on it.

Ridgeview High, Class of 2009.

There I was, among the students, wearing an all-black toga with the biggest smile I've ever made. Never in my mind had I thought I would end up in a small town like Casa Nova. I'm not going to lie; I miss San Francisco, my family, and somehow even my so-called friends. But, going back there is not an option right now.

"Okay. What's going on? I thought I was the one who was stuck all night dealing with a batshit crazy lady. Didn't you have your day off yesterday?" Claire's voice shatters my daydream.

Of course, I look terrible, considering I barely got any sleep last night. Why? Because that stupid evil consciousness of mine kept waking me up every five minutes or so, tempting me to go back to the life I chose to leave!

Curious as to how bad I currently look, I put my mug in the pantry and decide to make a quick detour to the bathroom. Once I glance at the mirror, my own reflection almost shocked me to death.

It's bad. It is really, really, bad.

Normally, my eyes are already big and look a bit like goldfish. But today, I look like Gollum, for God's sake!

There are dark circles and heavy eye bags around my big dreadful eyes, my usually glowing fair skin looks very pale, and—holy cow! Is that a freaking line around the corner of my eye?

It's amazing how much a lack of a good-night sleep can do to your face.

Damn you, evil me! Damn you!

I wash my face thoroughly with clean water before quickly drying it with a towel. When I drag myself back to the kitchen, Claire is now sitting on the black stool, enjoying her pancake. She already saves me some on my plate.