Chapter Twenty-Nine - Rumor Has It

"Oh, dear! I heard about what happened last night," Nurse Jackson says. Her expression shows concern, but the glimmer in her eyes tells me she has a different agenda. "How is Claire doing? And that older Harrison kid?"

"They're fine," I reply with a polite smile.

"Oh, thank God! I heard it was awful!" she says, her tone clearly tries to coax me into spilling the beans while the curiosity in her eyes grows even clearer.

"Let's not exaggerate, shall we?" I reply while filling my cup with some hot tea the hospital provides for staffers.

"Of course, dear!" she replies, trying her best to sympathize even though I know it won't last long. "Rumor has it Charles' mistress did it. Or is it really the work of a serial killer?"

I raise one brow. Hmm, that's new. Maybe I can use this to my advantage.

"Where'd you hear that?" I ask before blowing on my cup.

"Well, you know, chitter-chatter here and there. Is it true then, dear?"

A small chuckle escapes my lips. "And why would you think I know that?" 

"Well..." her smile grows a little shy and mischievous which makes me wonder what is in her mind. I take a sip on my tea while waiting for her to continue. "You know... how you're seeing Lucas and all—"

I nearly choke when I hear her. "Pardon me?"

"Oh dear, don't be shy! The whole staff already knows it," her eyes twinkle as she utters the words. "He's handsome, you're beautiful, you two are a match made in heaven!"

WHAT THE HECK?

I close my eyes, trying to pretend this is all a dream. When I re-open my eyes, I let out a long sigh knowing it is all too real.

"Who is Doctor Brighton's mistress anyway?" I sputter while trying to change the subject.

"No one knows for sure." Her wicked smile grows larger. "Rumor says it's a high school girl."

My eyes widen as I hear the words. Could it be...?

"I know, right! Talk about a forbidden romance!" She giggles.

"Any idea who she is?" I ask, leaning on the counter while taking another sip of my tea.

She shrugs. "No one knows. Charles has a lot of teenage fans, you know? Him being a former basketball star and all."

"He's a what now?" I ask in surprise.

"Oh! I forgot you're new." She giggles. "He was one of the Eagles who brought the team to win the State Championship back in 1999. It was HUGE news at that time. Even now he's still an honorary coach for the Eagles. He was nowhere as good as that other kid if you ask me, but still, the whole team was some kind of local heroes."

Whoa. That douchebag was a basketball star? Well, his physique surely fits the mold and now I know why his ego is way bigger than his head. But more importantly, he's an Eagle, which means he's now a strong suspect in Jill's murder.

My forehead wrinkles in thought as a crazy theory pops into my head. What if Jill is doctor Brighton's mystery mistress?

"What is it, dear? You look like you've seen a ghost!" She lets out a cackling giggle.

"Nothing, it's just... I was wondering, does he by any chance know Jill St. John?" I ask curiously.

"Of course, dear! She's his son's tutor! I've told you how smart that girl is, right? Ah... that takes me back to that time Lorraine got an A..." Nurse Jackson continues to ramble on and on about her daughter's achievement.