Chapter Fifteen - Shallow Grave

The door of the room Lucas went into is open wide. With a careful move, I walk towards it and stop right before the door.

"Lex, please. Just—" I glance at John with clear determination in my eyes, my left hand gesturing him to stop his useless effort. Shaking his head, he lets out a heavy sigh, finally claiming his defeat.

"Just be careful," he says, concern in his voice.

Lucas is standing in front of the large oak cupboard inside the dimly lit room, busy searching the insides of it for what I presume as a flashlight. It doesn't take long before he finds what he's looking for. He turns around with an accomplished look on his face and a black flashlight on his right hand.

"Got it." He twirls the flashlight. Walking past me, he says, "Let's go!"

But, I stay in the shadows instead. I slide my right hand into my bag and search for the weapon I prepared earlier. I keep it hidden in my bag, clutching it tightly as I open my mouth, ready to confront him.

"Jamie?" June's voice is heard.

I stop myself from saying anything and knit my brows together instead.

"Jamie's back?" Jude chimes with great excitement. "Let me see! Let me see!"

My eyes roam the vast room, searching for the origin of the voices and the mystery Jamie they're talking about. I step forward as I squint my eyes to get a closer look. The two little kids are running up the stairs with excitement on their faces, it's as if they're meeting someone they used to know so well; childhood friends, perhaps, or maybe even family.

"Jamie?" I mumble to myself with a frown on my face. Don't tell me there's another ghost in here.

"What did you say?" Lucas suddenly stops. He turns around and looks at me as if I just said an odd thing.

Crap. Did I just say it out loud?

In a short moment, it becomes clear who they are talking about. There aren't any other ghosts but the kids. Their eyes are fixated on the one—living—person walking in front of me.

"Wow! Jamie's getting really tall!" Jude says, tipping on his toes to try to reach Lucas' height, although he barely reaches Lucas' shoulders.

"Of course he is, silly!" June slaps her brother's shoulder. "He's not five anymore, remember?"

What? Lucas Wright is Jamie? But how?

Come to think of it, it makes sense how he knows this place inside out, he must've visited this place often before. After all, even after twenty years have passed, the kids can still recognize him without any difficulties. With that in mind, I conclude one thing for sure: Lucas Wright is not the boogeyman they fear.

The sight of his huge, judging, brown eyes in front of mine makes me flinch. I take a step back as he takes a step closer to me.

"What? What did I say?" I try to act dumb.

He furrows his brows, looking as if he just seen—or rather heard—a ghost. My heart begins to race as I can feel his breath closer and closer to my face. He finally stops merely a few inches away from me and squints his eyes, trying to guess if I'm telling the truth or just acting dumb.

To my relief, he sighs. "Nah, it's impossible," he mumbles to himself, shaking his head lightly. For a split second, I can see clear sorrow in his eyes. Shielding it away from me, he turns around and starts to walk at a fast pace down the stairs. "Come on! What are you waiting for?"