Chapter Twenty-Eight - 1428 Woods Street

Dean's auto shop is located on the outskirts of the town. Normally, there aren't many people out here, but tonight is different. The area is already swarmed with police officers, journalists, and curious bystanders. There are at least five police cars, two ambulances, and a fire engine. There isn't any fire present right now, but there's still a thin stream of dark smoke surrounding the white-painted building. The sound of police siren echoes through the land. The detective was right; it's an absolute frenzy out here.

The taxi stops beside a white van with the words CHANNEL 1 written on its sides. As soon as the car stops, Claire rushes out. I quickly pay the driver and follow her.

The police have already put up yellow tape around the building. Officers are guarding the premises, preventing journalists and other bystanders from entering the crime scene. It takes a while for us to force our way through the crowd and get behind the yellow tape. When we finally do, one of the officers tells her to stay behind the line.

"No, please, you have to let me in. My boyfriend's in there," Claire pleads desperately.

"Sorry, kid. We are told not to let anyone in," the officer replies.

The sudden sound of an ambulance siren blares through the area. Some of the police officers are asking the bystanders to give way for the ambulance.

Uh-oh. Is there a casualty this time? A part of me is starting to think I should stop the girl before she's gone too far, but another part of me is afraid she already did.

As one of the ambulances leaves the premises in a hurry, I start to spot a familiar face among the crowd. I squint my eyes to get a better look when he happens to glance my way too. As our eyes meet, he waves his hand with a smile on his face. His smile disappears in a split second when a journalist with a microphone on her hand walks through the spirit's body. A small smile finds its way upon my face as I watch his annoyed expression.

Then, I start to wonder why John's here. But looking around me, I suppose John must've heard all the commotion and find his way here too. After all, half of the town's residence seems to be out here looking for things to gossip about.

"Please, Sir. I beg you, I have to get in there!" Claire's loud plea grabs my attention.

Just as I'm about to take my phone out to call Lucas, I see him coming out of the charred building.

"Officer," Lucas shouts as he approaches us. "It's okay, they're with me."

The officer shrugs and sighs. He holds the tape up and motions us through. Claire quickly bursts onto the scene and frantically asks, "Dean, how is he? Where is he?"

"He's okay." Lucas puts his hand on Claire's shoulder in an attempt to comfort her. "Come with me."

We follow him to the only ambulance left in the area. Dean is sitting inside it with a yellow blanket wrapped around him. His right hand is holding an ice pack against his forehead while a paramedic is treating his left arm.

I breathe a sigh of relief knowing Dean's not the one in the other ambulance earlier. Claire quickly runs towards him and gives him her biggest hug.

"Oh my God! What happened?" When her gaze falls to the cut on his forehead, she screams in panic, "Your head! Oh, Sweetie..."

Dean shakes his head slowly. "I'm fine..."

Sensing the two lovebirds are practically in their own world, I switch my gaze to the detective.

"So... What exactly happened?"

Lucas lets out a sigh. "That's what we're trying to find out. Look, sorry if I sounded a bit... pushy on the phone."