Chapter Thirty-Nine - Confession Is Good For The Soul

With a loud growl, Jill raises her hand towards the table not far from me. With a swish of her hand, the crystal glasses fly violently towards me. I bring both arms above my head, preparing for the worst. As the glasses are about to hit me, Will comes running and grabs her from behind. Startling her, he throws her to the wall on my right.

Yes!

At that exact same moment, all the glasses that were about to hit me fall to the ground inches away from me. I breathe out a loud sigh of relief.

"Lexi, are you okay?" Will asks as he approaches me.

"Yeah." I nod repeatedly. My heart is still pounding loudly as a result of the girl's attack. "I'm fine, thanks."

Then, in the corner of my eyes, I can see Jill is getting up on her feet. "Will?" she asks, frustration slowly spreads into her voice. "Why are you helping her?"

"Because," Will answers, "this isn't right. Look around you." He gives a pause as he, and eventually her, look to the direction of the crowd. People continuously scream for help while thickening smoke is filling the room and slowly suffocating everyone. Some people are coughing loudly while some others are already lying unconscious on the floor. By now, the fire has spread to the roof and some of the wood has been engulfed by the flame.

I can tell from the look in her eyes, she's starting to regret what she has done. The dark smoke around her slowly turns grey as doubts begin to fill her face.

"I know what he did to you," I say as I take a step forward, careful enough not to step on the shards of glass. Her eyes quickly dart towards me with caution and I stop abruptly. "But these people..." I glance around us. "They've done nothing wrong."

She shields her gaze away from me but the grey smoke around her slowly fades away.

"And Claire?" I turn to look at my unconscious friend before returning my gaze at Jill. "She's done nothing wrong either."

"But," Jill cries, shooting her gaze at Claire, "he left me for her! He told me I was worthless and replaceable, while she..." her voice trails away as her face is now filled with grief. Then, with a soft and rather painful voice, she continues, "He said he loves her..."

I let out a sigh. "Jill..." I gather my courage and take a few steps closer towards her carefully. "I know he lied about a lot of things to you. He clearly is a liar! So..." I stop right in front of her. "Are you sure that's not another lie?"

Her eyes soften as it slowly turns into their original color. I can see tears begin to form in her eyes.

At that very moment, I begin to take pity on her. Sure, she made mistakes. But don't we all? She's been lied to and manipulated by a predator who takes on the mask of an angel. Then, when she tried to do the right thing, she was murdered by that same predator who had broken her heart. She never stood a chance against someone like Dean and my blood boils when I think of that.

That's when I figure I can kill two birds with one stone by making Dean confess to his sins.

"You!" I shoot my gaze with anger towards the man who caused the chaos. "Tell the truth! Tell me how you lied to Jill and Claire at the same time!"

Dean stares at me, pretending as if he doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about and it makes me even angrier than before. "You were behind Jill and Doctor Brighton's murder, weren't you?"

On the corner of my eyes, I can see Claire is slowly regaining her consciousness. She's rubbing the back of her head while slowly opening her eyes.

"I..." Dean shifts his gaze around him rapidly. "I don't know what you're talking about!"

"You..." Will says through gritted teeth. He's clenching his hand into a fist when I extend my hand in front of him and shake my head, silently asking him to control his anger. I know it's almost impossible for him to do so, but I'm afraid if he loses control, Dean would die for real and the truth will be buried with his death, and I can't let that happen.