Chapter Thirty-Two - It's Official. I'm a Criminal.

"So? How'd it go with Poison Ivy?"

Lucas raises one brow with an amused half-smile as he takes his seat across me. "Poison Ivy?"

"She did poison her husband, did she not?" I ask innocently.

Lucas chuckles and shakes his head. "By law, she didn't. She only gave him stale food and an uncooked rat..." his voice trails away as a result of the side-eye given to him by the couple sitting on the table next to us. Their plates are almost empty but what Lucas just said clearly isn't suited for the dining table.

He flashes an apologetic smile before burying his red face in his palms. An unexpected small laugh comes out of me.

He looks cute when he's blushing like that, doesn't he?

Well, yeah... I suppose...

No, no, no.

I quickly shake my head, trying to brush the crazy thought away. In the meantime, the couple next to us finishes their meal and stands up. They're about to leave, but not before giving Lucas another piercing gaze. Their eyes practically scream 'shame on you' in silence, causing Lucas to give an apologetic smile once again.

As soon as the couple is out of our sight, Lucas straightens himself up and puts on a serious face that makes him look even hotter.

Oh crap. This has got to stop.

He glances around, making sure no one else will hear our conversation. Right now, Lucas and I are the only customers in the hospital's cafeteria and as usual, I pick the seat farthest from the cashier as a precaution.

"Madeleine Brighton"—he gives me his side-eye—"claimed she doesn't know who her husband's mistress was. Though, she said the panties she found in her husband's car was—and I quote—too big for a skinny girl like Jill. Plus, according to her, Jill was definitely not her husband's type, which was one of the reasons she decided to hire Jill as her son's tutor."

"Type?" I furrow my brows. "I take it this is not the first time he cheated on his wife?"

"Nope." He shakes his head lightly. "It appears cheating is a bit of a habit for Charles Brighton."

"But, if that so, how can she be absolutely sure Jill wasn't doctor Brighton's mistress? Who knows, he might have more than one."

"Yeah, I thought so too. But as far as I can tell, Madeleine Brighton doesn't have a clue about a second mistress."

"Oh..." I mutter under my breath with disappointment, although I'm hoping there's still more to the story.

"But..."

Yes! I knew there's a but coming! I knew it!

I drag myself forward, eager to hear more.

"She saw her husband had an argument with Jill a few days before Jill's death. Plus, the day after that, Charles Brighton told his wife to fire Jill St. John." A small smirk is formed on one side of his lips.

Ooh! Jackpot!

He leans forward before he continues, "He didn't say to his wife what his reason was, but according to her, whatever it was definitely wasn't because of Jill's quality of work, since it was practically impeccable," he takes a quick breath before concluding, "It was personal."

"Okay... That's good, right? I mean, can you arrest him based on that testimony?"

His smile is now wiped away from his face as he shakes his head. "Unfortunately, it's not that easy. There's still not enough probable cause to issue a warrant for his arrest or even to search his personal belongings."