Chapter Sixteen - You're a Bad Omen, You Know That?

"Is it true, love?" Nurse Jackson's eyes glitter with curiosity. "Were you the one who found that poor girl's dead body?"

"Yep." I nod lazily as I mentally sigh. Ever since that incident, the exact same question seems to follow me everywhere I go. On my peripheral vision, I can see the plump nurse opening her mouth again, eager to shoot me another question. From the mix of curiosity and fear in her eyes, I know exactly what she's going to ask next.

"And no." I bring one finger forward to prevent her from asking the exact same question I've heard numerous times. "Ghosts weren't the one who killed her. She really was shot to death, just like the newspapers said."

My statement brings out disappointment in her eyes. "Ghosts don't kill people, Nurse Jackson. People kill people." My mouth makes a straight line as I lean back in the chair.

She lets out a long sigh as her face turns sad. "But who would want to kill such a sweet girl?"

I shrug. Suddenly, she gasps loudly. Her huge eyes widen as she drags a hand to cover her mouth. "What if there's a serial killer targeting young women in this town? That means Lorraine is in danger—"

"Breathe, Mac. Breathe," I straighten myself and slightly raise both hands towards her while trying to calm her down. I start inhaling and exhaling loudly, trying to get her to mimic my action. "Take a deep breath, nothing bad's going to happen to Lorraine."

Lorraine is Nurse Jackson's 14-year-old daughter. Ever since her husband died, Nurse Jackson has been raising her daughter by herself, hence the overprotectiveness and the paranoia.

"Whoo!" She wipes the sweat from her forehead.

I chuckle at the lady's action. All of a sudden, a hunch—or rather a crazy thought—comes across my mind.

"Did you know her? The girl?" I ask curiously.

Her death might be none of my concern, but because of John's reaction the other night, I have a feeling she might be closely related to my own investigation. So maybe, just maybe, if I know more about her, I'll know more about John.

"Of course I do, love! She lives just across the street!" she replies with her usual vigor.

Well played, Alexis. Well played.

As a winning smile finds its way onto my face, I drag my chair closer to the desk and put on my serious face. "See, I've known her ever since the St. Johns first moved here. And that was..." She drags one finger to her chin and looks up. "About ten years ago, I believe." She returns her gaze towards me.

"What was she like?" I ask, propping my head on my hands.

"She's—I mean was—a sweet and kind girl, always helped me with my groceries whenever she was around. Smart girl, too. One time, she helped Lorraine with one of her science projects. She got an A!" She smiles proudly.

I chuckle. "What about her family? Or her friends? Has anything out-of-ordinary ever happened to them? Anything at all?" I continue to ask, not sure what kind of answer to expect.

"Well, she was an only child. Bruce, her father is the principal at Casa Nova High and Lucy, her mother, is a soccer mom. God, I can't imagine what they're going through! God knows what I'd do if anything ever happens to Lorraine." She clasps her lips together and shrugs. "From what I can tell, her family was perfect."

"Nothing is ever perfect, Mac. There's bound to be a skeleton in everyone's closets." I straighten my lips and shrug.

"But I'm telling you, not once have I ever heard them fi..."