Chapter Forty - Unfinished Business

The oxygen from the mask feels cold and fresh. The paramedics offer one to Lucas too, but he refuses. Still, he takes his seat next to me in the back of an ambulance.

"What a view, huh?" Lucas says, referring to the chaos in front of us while wrapping a blanket around my shoulders.

The fair is halted for the day; all the booths are closed and people are advised to go home for the night. Most people do, especially those who were inside the town hall when the chaos happened. I'd imagine right now they are locking themselves in their houses while telling themselves that what they had seen was just a dream. Nevertheless, a lot of curious bystanders and journalists are still sticking around here, wondering what exactly happened.

All three ambulances from St. Mary's and a few more from nearby hospitals are dispatched while some doctors and nurses also volunteer to help the ones injured on the scene. Even though the firefighters managed to put down the fire, the town hall has already been burned to the ground. It's a true miracle no one was badly hurt.

"I still can't believe what just happened," Lucas continues. His gaze trails off on the two ambulances who just left the premises, carrying the last of the people who need further treatments to the hospital. "Honestly, if it wasn't for you, those people might not be alive right now."

I take my oxygen mask off. "Well, it wasn't like I did much, I just... talk to the dead."

He gives a small chuckle. "You give yourself too few credits, you know? To be honest, you'd make a good detective yourself."

I can feel my cheeks blush at his compliment as a small proud smile finds its way to my face. Then, I suddenly remember the first thing he said to me when we first met. "Guess I'm not that dumb after all, huh?"

He turns to look at me with a raised brow for a while, before finally understanding what I mean. "Oh, that?" He laughs a little. "You still don't get what I mean, do you?"

I switch my gaze at him and slightly tilt my head, completely at loss as to what he's saying. He stares at me with amusement on his face instead.

"You said I didn't look like a doctor," I say. "And since doctors are supposed to be smart, then you must've meant I'm not..." my voice trails away as I begin to doubt myself. "Right?"

He laughs again, this time a bit more carefree and louder. "That's..." He purses his lips together. "Not exactly what I meant."

"Huh?"

"You know how smart people usually look, right?" He shifts nervously and switches his gaze elsewhere, a hint of red on his cheeks.

I narrow my eyes. Then, when I finally understand what he means, the smirk on my face grows bigger and amused. "So... What were you saying, exactly?" I ask, trying to get him to confirm what he meant.

"Do I really have to say it out loud?"

I nod repeatedly.

"Fine." A defeated smile comes across his lips. "I think you're too pretty to be a doctor."

I can feel my heart flutter a little bit, but I try to keep my cool even though my face is probably as red as a tomato right now. I decide to hide my grinning face behind the oxygen mask once more.

That's when I remember something important.

My inner smile is gone without a trace. I clench my hand into a fist and hit his arm with all my might. It turns out to be a pretty bad decision because, damn, his arm is like a freaking rock!

"Ouch!" he protests and switches his gaze at me in an instant. "What was that for?"

I take off my oxygen mask and scolds him, "Where the heck were you?" Before he can answer, I add, "And why weren't you answering your phone?!"