Chapter Twenty-Five - Possessed

"Uhm... are you sure this is going to work?" John says.

"Doc, listen. I really, really don't think this is a good idea. The last time this happened, you looked like a freaking corpse!" Lucas adds. "And would you just hear me out for a second? I have a much better idea than this!"

"Yeah, he's got a point!"

Wow. To think that a minute ago they looked like they could kill each other with their gazes and now they are actually agreeing on something.

The two of them continue to voice their concerns at the same time, making my head aches. "What if this time you can't wake up? What if—"

"Shhh!" I cry out loud, holding both index fingers to the men on my sides, shushing them. "I'll be fine. Besides, this is the only way to figure out what really happened that night."

I retract both hands to my sides and turn my gaze to John." Remember, focus on that night. Okay?"

"But—"

"Just do it!" I command.

"Well... if you say so..." John finally surrenders.

He gets ready from five feet away and begins to run towards me. When I see a clear hesitation in his face, I also begin to question my 'brilliant' plan. Then, as he gets closer, I shut my eyes tight out of fear while chanting Hail Mary in my head. I feel a breeze of wind blowing against me, leading me to believe I'm about to be transported into the past like last time. My heart beats faster as anxiety and curiosity keep building up inside me.

One...

Two...

"Doc?"

Hm? That's weird. Why is the detective in John's memory?

I feel a ray of light pointed at my eyes. Out of curiosity, I peek one eye open. The bright light causes me to draw my hands above my eyes, shielding them.

"Doc? You okay?" the detective continues.

"Huh?" I mutter under my breath.

"Are you okay?" he repeats, stepping closer while bringing his flashlight even closer to my eyes.

"Would you just put that down, please?" I gesture to his flashlight.

"Oh." He quickly does as I told. "Sorry."

"I didn't hurt you, did I?" John says, his voice full of concern.

"Nah, I'm fine..." I continue rubbing my eyes to try to regain my vision as a result of the detective's blinding light from before.

"So? Did it work?" John continues.

I turn round and realize that John is now standing behind me, which means he already ran past me before. But... why didn't I enter his memory?

Silly Alexis. You really think it would be that easy to be possessed?

Well, all the movies certainly made it look easy.

"Let's give it one more try, shall we?"

***

Never in my twenty-seven-years-of-pathetic-life have I ever thought I would be pissed because a ghost can't possess me. Yet here I am.

We've tried just about anything to get John to possess me in order to unlock his memories, but nothing works. He ran almost 40 mph towards me, he stood right at the place where I was standing, he even managed to fly (yes, he knows how to fly now) towards me. But nothing works.