Surprise, Surprise

It was only once they were settled into their hotel room, halfway through a bottle of wine each and laughing at an old episode of The Simpsons, that James panicked as he remembered he was supposed to text Sebastian earlier.

As if it'd heard his thoughts, his phone chimed cheerily with a new text, the sound muffled in his suitcase.
Amused and slightly concerned, Nate smirked as he watched his friend reluctantly pull his phone out of the suitcase, handling it so cautiously it was almost like it'd bite him otherwise.

James' already pale face sunk straight into ivory as he scrolled through the 64 missed messages from Sebastian, which flowed in an almost graceful spectrum from joking to 'extremely worried and threatening to call the police' through the past 10-11 hours he'd been gone.

Guilt punching him straight in the throat, James coughed and hesitantly started to reply.

-----

Lil J:
So
I'm not dead? 🤗

Kiss da gurl🦀:
...

Lil J:
I'm sorry!!! I'm really
REALLY sorry mate
I didn't mean to make you worry man
I was really busy and Nate dragged me into a thing

Kiss da gurl🦀:
I thought you got kidnapped or something wtf
You disappeared for 10 HOURS
Wtf were you doing???

Lil J:
Well
WAIT OMG I CANT BELIEVE I DIDNT THINK TO TELL YOU
Seb, you're still in NY right????😶

Kiss da gurl🦀:
Yeah..?

Lil J:
Guess where I am 😏😏😏😏😏

Kiss da gurl🦀:
...
No way
NO WAY
ARE YOU IN NEW YORK
J
JJ ANSWER RIGHT NOW COME BACK HERE

Lil J:
I AM IN NEW YORK HOLY SHI

Kiss da gurl🦀:
Where are you???
I have to meet you, this is amazing

Lil J:
I'll send my hotel address now, we can meet at the cafe thing next door tomorrow 😎😎

Kiss da gurl🦀:
Can't wait 😏

-----

Chris Evans was a patient man.
He had to be, with the childish antics of his co-stars on set (which he'd never admit that he joined in with constantly), as well as the sometimes exasperating conversations he's had with reporters, friends and fans alike.

But as patient as he was, if Sebastian Stan didn't stop grinning and laughing down at his phone during their coffee break, he was going to steal the damn thing and throw it under one of the stunt-cars.

A loud bark of a laugh interrupted his thoughts for the fifth time. Chris looked up from his coffee and leaned over to his friend and co-star, noting how close Sebastian's nose was to the screen at that point.
"Okay, what could possibly be that funny?" He joked, trying to glance down at the phone in question.

Sebastian's head snapped up and he quickly his his phone against his chest, looking as guilty as a mud-covered preschool kid.
"Oh, uh, it's just my friend texting me shit, he and I are meeting up after work today." He grinned, slipping the phone into his pocket, hands already fidgeting as he tried to ignore the chimes of an incoming text.

Chris just nodded and let it go.
He didn't question the almost possessive way Sebastian had hidden the texts from him, or the way he went straight back to his phone as he left.
After all, he hadn't seen Sebastian this happy since before his ex-girlfriend left him, so he was just glad to see him smiling again.

But quietly, he worried about what the media would make of this new and very close seeming friendship. He could already imagine the assuming headlines, the judgement they'd throw at the new friends and how many problems the assumptions would bring them, especially since they're both men.

So he decided then and there, that he'd try and protect this new found companion from the inevitable media stampede, if only for Sebastian's sake.