Chapter Eight

The following morning, Shawn woke to a loud thud on the ground; she'd kicked her laptop off of her bed and sent it flying through the air until it crashed against the hardwood floor. Knowing that the machine had endured hundreds of falls worse than this, Shawn calmly climbed out of bed, taking a moment to stretch her arms above her head in an attempt to full awaken, before lifting the laptop from the centre of the room. As soon as she lifted it, though, she knew that this fall had impacted it the most.

"Shawn?" Chance was knocking on her bedroom door repeatedly, until Shawn murmured that it was fine for her to come in. "What happened? Did you fall?"

"No, I didn't. My laptop did, though," Shawn replied, holding it in one hand and repetitively holding the power button, hoping that the fiftieth time she pressed it would be lucky.

Chance's shoulders dropped in relief, though her forehead still held its crease of worry. "Is it okay? It's not broken, is it?"

Shawn sighed, putting her laptop down on her bed and sitting next to it. "Yeah, it is," she answered, running a hand through her hair.

Chance shrugged. "You've had that laptop forever. Seriously, I'm not sure which is older: your laptop, or your dating life."

"Ha ha," Shawn mocked, rolling her eyes. "It worked though, for that long. I'm so stupid."

"It was an accident, it's fine. We'll go out looking for a new one this weekend," Chance said firmly, then leaving Shawn's room.

Shawn sighed once more, now alone in a silent bedroom, thankful that at least she had her files saved on a hard drive. When Chance knocked on her door fifteen minutes later, announcing that she'd made breakfast for them, Shawn knew it was time to stop sulking over an innocent mistake. Really, she should've replaced her laptop years ago. Still, she'd have rather bought a new one because she wanted to, not because she had to.

"Can I borrow your phone?" Shawn asked Chance, sliding into one of the kitchen chairs and taking a mug of tea from the centre of the table. "I need to check my email."

"What about your phone?" Chance raised an eyebrow at her as she sat opposite her at the table, sliding a plate of bacon towards her.
"I haven't set up my email yet."

"'Yet,'" Chance laughed. When Shawn scowled at her, she eased up, taking a long sip of her own tea before saying, "Shawn, you are seriously the most un evolved person I know when it comes to technology. You've had that laptop forever, and all you ever do on it is 1. Type on Microsoft word, 2. Check your email, and 3. Look at the news."

"I don't have an interest in doing anything else," Shawn replied, shrugging her shoulders nonchalantly.

"I know... You're just, strange, Shawn. That's all." Chance shook her head and continued to laugh, receiving a small, hesitant smile from Shawn. "Here, you can check it. Why, though? Did you give that barista your email or something?"

Shawn rolled her eyes, remaining silent as she logged into her email on Chance's phone, then reading the reply from the woman she'd messaged yesterday.

"Unbelievable," Shawn laughed.

"What?"

"I have a meeting today with a writer, and she said 'let's do it at Starbucks.' I seem to be living at that place," Shawn explained.

Chance raised her eyebrows. "It's fate."

"I don't think so," Shawn dismissed, taking a forkful of bacon and holding it up to her mouth. "Seriously, though, York is going to think I'm stalking her. But I guess I'll find out what she thought of the note."