Chapter Twenty Six

Despite Shawn's mother insisting that she join her for Christmas at Thomas's in New York, Shawn declined. She would spend the holiday at her home, with a piece of her family, like they did last year, and would continue to do each year. Chance's mother lives in Florida, and her father passed away when she was young. A few years ago, her mother announced that she would not be travelling anymore due to her arthritis, and that if Chance wanted to come for Christmas, she would have to go there. But that didn't feel right, and leaving Shawn on her own didn't, either. In the past seven years, Shawn and Chance spent Christmas in the freezing cold in Boston, whether in a dorm room or in their apartment.

However, Shawn did spend the following week at her mother's house, catching up in a way that did not bring up the past in which they didn't want to discuss. As the days passed, Shawn had more on her mind than York. Her mother was taking her out and spoiling her—it seemed, to make up for not doing so when Shawn was young. She had so much new clothing that would require another suitcase to take it all home in.

And when Shawn finally did leave, she was faced with that horrible guilt of seeing fear flash behind the person she love's eyes. Once again, someone was afraid that this would be the end.

"Call me as soon as your home," her mother said, hugging Shawn for what felt like the fiftieth time. "So I know you made it safe."

"Okay, mom."

"Do you need another hat? I have a warmer scarf somewhere in here, it's freezing outside—"

Shawn laughed as she interjected, "I'm fine, mom. Really." She'd never had anyone fuss over her like this. She never thought that she would enjoy it, either. But being around her mother made her feel safe, and loved. It was something she could easily grow used to.

"Okay, Shawn, well, be safe, okay? And—"

Interrupting her hesitant words, Shawn stepped forwards, pressing a kiss to her mother's cheek as she said, "Love you, mom. Bye."

Before her mother could reply, and before Shawn was able to gauge her reaction to these words, she turned around, marching towards the sidewalk and leaving the small townhouse behind.

And then Shawn was on another city bus. Other than the sound of the rickety structure of the bus driving on the slippery road, it was silent; giving Shawn plenty of time to reflect on the past two plus weeks.

Overall, she wasn't sure what to make of it. She did what she needed to do. That was over. But she wasn't sure if her relationship with York was over, too.

These past two weeks had been selfish—in a good way. Shawn was thinking of herself, and acting for herself, despite the motive that brought her here. And although she was in a rush to get back to Boston, she wasn't sure if she was in such a rush to get back to York. It was exhausting, and even though they hadn't been together long, Shawn was enjoying the feeling of being alone, or rather, guilt free.

Leaning her head backwards so it rested on the edge of her seat, Shawn closed her eyes, listening to the sound of Snow Patrol in her headphones as the bus raced on, and patiently waited to be back in Boston.

-

Shawn's phone vibrated with one of the few texts she'd received in the past few weeks. As she was walking off of the bus at the familiar bus stop at the corner of her street, she froze. Every piece of her—especially her heart—froze.

12:49PM — York
Shawn, where are you? I need you.

Something about this text angered Shawn. York disregarded anything that Shawn was feeling because she needed to speak with her. At least that's what it seemed like. And then another text came.