Chapter Twenty

Shawn received a handful of text messages following their unfortunate event with heartfelt apologies from York. She also learned that York had wanted to kiss her so badly, and was now not speaking—which York found very funny to say—to her mother.

She must have stayed awake all night. While Shawn was sleeping, exhausted from the tiring three hours spent staring blankly at coloured in canvases, York repeatedly sent her messages.

12:02AM — York
I'm guessing you're asleep but if you're awake and you're just ignoring me please tell me so that I don't waste my entire night on my cell phone.

1:15AM — York
Okay it's settled, you're asleep. I hope you're having a good sleep. Tell me about what you dreamt in the morning, okay? I like hearing about other people's dreams. It's interesting to me—and you're the most interesting person in my life.

2:05AM — York
I can't sleep..

2:12AM — York
I sent you so many messages saying this before but I really am sorry, Shawn. My mom shouldn't have interrupted us. And I know you hate it—anyone would. I'm an adult and I'm being babied by my mom. You probably don't understand and you're probably about as angry as I am at her, but this is the first time I've ever been furious with her. And I think she got the message, because she's leaving me alone, even though she knows I'm still awake.

3:44AM — York
I think you're keeping me awake. My mind is still reeling from tonight.

3:59AM — York
I seriously had the best night. I know you don't like art that much but thank you for tolerating it enough so that I could enjoy it. You're the kindest person I've ever met, and you treat me so much better than I deserve. I'm going to actually try and sleep now, so I'll talk to you in the morning.

The smile that evaded Shawn's face from the moment she woke up and read the messages never faltered throughout the entire day. Multiple times, Chance asked her why she was smiling so much, although she was quite positive she knew the reason.

Not only had Shawn made immense progress with York, she was able to follow a conversation with sign language, and had finished the edit for Kyra. She had two handfuls of other clients and books on hold to edit, and for the first time in a long time, she was looking forward to doing the work. She savoured the feeling of accomplishing something, and something that she really, really cared about.

"She's making me a better person."

Chance nodded slowly, her eyes widening as she hid her smirk beneath her sandwich as she let her legs dangle along the edge of the counter.

"I wasn't aware that you were ever a bad person in the first place," Chance replied.

"You said I was the other day."

With her back turned towards Chance, Shawn wasn't able to see the teasing remarks and gestures that her best friend was giving her.

Shawn's fingers against her computer keys echoed throughout the apartment as it stood still for a moment, with Chance quietly eating and Shawn eerily concentrated in the silence.

"You still don't approve?" Shawn finally asked, pivoting her body towards the counters. "Even after I showed you all of those texts, and told you everything?"

"Okay, first of all, don't act like that's a big deal. It's just assumed that you show your best friend everything—"

"But apparently that doesn't apply to you," Shawn interjected, a sharp smile flashing across her face.