Chapter Eighteen

"Every time we talk, I'm going to do the sign language with it, so if you think I'm, like, weirdly having a hand seizure, I'm just practicing."

Chance nodded slowly at Shawn, whose hands were struggling to keep up with what she was saying.

After three days of balancing work and learning, Shawn had yet to even text York. She knew that this was neglectful, and really, really irresponsible, but York hadn't made a move to talk to her either. Perhaps it was best to leave it for a few days—to let the electricity settle down before igniting another spark.

Shawn needed coffee. And she didn't need her own coffee—which she was just now accepting that Chance was right; it was not very good. She needed store bought coffee. And she needed to see York.

But she had a plan. With the knowledge of sign language she had, she was using it as much as possible, even when not conversing with other people, but having conversations with herself. This gave her the practice of her own signing, though didn't allow her the opportunity to try and comprehend other people. Still, she didn't want to tell York that she was learning right now. She wanted to wait until she was able to have a full conversation with her first.

Breathing in the scent of fresh, ground coffee, she realized how much she needed it. She was exhausted from staying awake each night, and dozing at short intervals throughout the days. On the bright side, she was caught up with her current edit; nearly complete. She was usually far behind at this point, but she couldn't let herself fall even the slightest behind right now.

Much to her shock, and much to her annoyance, York wasn't working today. She asked a barista immediately, when she'd been in the store for a total of thirty seconds and hadn't seen the blonde bustling around behind the counter.

"She usually works every day except one. Today is her day off."

This hadn't happened to Shawn in the total time she'd been coming to this Starbucks and had been aware of York. For some reason, it didn't seem real that York had days off, because she was always here.

Still, she purchased a coffee, sat down in her usual booth, and pulled out her cell phone.

12:59PM — Shawn
I'm at Starbucks and you aren't here... This is completely shocking.

1:02PM — York
Ha ha, I do have a life, you know. How long will you be there for?

1:03PM — Shawn
Until my coffee cools down and is safe enough to drink, and then until I finish it and probably end up ordering another, and then repeat the entire process.

1:04PM — York
Would you mind if I came and kept you company?

1:05PM — Shawn
I thought you had a life, though? Something more important to do?

1:06PM — York
As lame as it is, you happen to be my top priority at the moment. I'll be there in a few minutes.

York kept her word. In five minutes, she was shuffling through the restaurant, stomping snowflakes off of her converse and tugging her jacket off of her shoulders. She caught sight of Shawn right away, though even without seeing her, she knew exactly which booth she'd be in. As she walked past the counter, she gave the barista at the cash register a wave. Shawn raised her eyebrows.

But as York slid into the seat across from Shawn, she gave her the largest smile, accompanying a much friendlier wave than the barista had been granted. Shawn felt herself ease.