Chapter Ten

Dinner was filled with flying food and a child's screaming, but Shawn had never felt so at home. This was her family—all of it, and finally all together. She was so content, so relieved that she'd decided to answer Thomas's phone call that one day. If not for that, this night would have been spent with just Chance and herself, and a major piece would've been missing. Then again, she wouldn't have even been aware that piece existed. But now, two weeks later after their reunion and reconciliation, she couldn't imagine life without her brother, sister-in-law, and nephew—despite how fussy he was being.

"Come here, Nash, come to Aunt Chance—I've got you, that's it." Chance was cooing in Nash's ear, her finger tickling his chubby neck, trying her best to elicit some sort of a positive reaction from him. He wasn't having it.

Even when their dinner arrived, and Rachel tried her best to soothe him with food and milk—even with some of the cookies they had buried in the bottom of their baby bag—his mood couldn't be lifted.

Rachel and Thomas took shifts in standing outside with him, allowing the restaurant peace and quiet while Shawn and Chance ate their meal. It was relatively silent at their table—with Nash now gone. Shawn couldn't help but feel guilty for the whole event—she was the reason they had come in the first place.

"He's doing better outside," Thomas said, and chuckled under his breath. "Despite it being freezing cold. He can be difficult sometimes, I apologize, girls. If you're done with your meal, I'll grab the cheque and maybe we could go for a walk?"

Both girls agreed in unison, and then both offered to pay, but Thomas insisted. As soon as the three were bundled up in their winter jackets—though Shawn had forgotten to bring mittens for her always cold hands—they exited the restaurant, heading into the frigid air.

Shawn wasn't used to it being so cold on her birthday. Normally, autumn would be just wrapping up by November 19th. There'd be no leaves left on the trees—all having fallen onto the ground to be swept away by wind or passing cars, or to be drowned in mud by heavy doses of rain. But this year, snowflakes continued to fall gingerly from the pitch black, star studded sky. It was only 8PM, and the sun had set completely, the night had fully begun. As streetlights flickered on, the quintet began walking back towards the apartment. Neither Shawn nor Chance were aware of decent places for a nice, family walk, and in the current temperature, both girls just wanted to get back home.

"Is there a coffee shop around here?" Rachel asked. Her voice was light, all irritation from dealing with Nash fading away as he began to quieten in her arms as they progressed along the sidewalk. She continued, "I can already tell it's going to be a long night. He usually sleeps well, but being away from home, and he had so much sleep this afternoon... I could really use some caffeine."

"What—Shawn's coffee isn't good enough?" Chance asked, casting a glance at Shawn and smirking. Shawn sighed, realizing that even despite it being her birthday, Chance hadn't taken a break from the remarks. "Kidding. Well, not really. Shawn, you're good at making anything other than coffee, which is strange, because you drink so much of it. Lucky for us, there's a Starbucks about five minutes away from here."

Panic rose inside of Shawn at the mention of that store. She couldn't believe that 1. Chance suggested going there when she was fully aware of who worked there, and 2. She didn't say anything—didn't even look at Shawn when she mentioned it as an indication of York being there.

She didn't want to go there. She knew that if they went, York would be working—it would be her unfortunate luck—and it would just be awkward. Plus, she wouldn't be there to apologize. She'd be there with her family, celebrating a good time, all in front of York, who she should be giving an explanation to.