Chapter Eleven

Shawn hadn't always been so closed off and reserved to those around her. In fact, she used to be one of those people who would share everything with everyone—whether they asked or not.

It was when she was about thirteen years old that she realized that there was something different about her family. About her parents.

Each day, she'd walk home from school—with her friends, though Thomas always trailed behind them; friendless and with the responsibility of keeping an eye on his younger sister. She'd spend the ten minutes laughing as the girls recapped their day—there was never any silence between them.

As soon as both Thomas and Shawn entered their house, though, that sound seemed to turn off. Both their mother and father worked afternoon shifts, which served well into the evening. And as soon as they arrived home, which was usually long after the two had gone to sleep, the sound was reignited.

But it wasn't conversation that was light and laughter filled. It was a screaming match—a competition to see who could raise their voice the loudest.

Shawn spent nights huddled under her bed, her pillow wrapped around her head and over her ears, and yet she could still hear every word her parents said. Thomas would sometimes slip out of his bedroom and into Shawn's, crawling under the bed with her and assuring her it would be okay.

Of course, it always was okay. The fight remained downstairs. But the fight continued every night, until finally, Shawn had had enough. By the time that she left for Boston, she'd made up her mind.

She didn't want to share this piece of her with anyone. It was in the past, and she would not carry it on her shoulders, bringing it with her to Boston. And along with this piece of hidden information came others, until Shawn became an incredibly private and closed off person. She didn't open up to people. When she met someone new, she shared as little information as possible with them. She would not tie strings. She would not become attached.

-

A knock on her bedroom door was the first thing Shawn heard when she woke, and she was beginning to get used to being woken up this way. It was followed by Nash—inevitably screaming once again, wailing so loud that even through the walls and closed doors, her ears hurt.

Climbing out of bed against her will, Shawn pulled the door open, taking a look at her digital clock and realizing it was 7:01AM.

In front of her stood Thomas, with that apologetic smile plastered on his face, and Rachel behind him, rocking Nash in her arms in an attempt to calm him down.

"Turns out his crying yesterday wasn't for nothing; he has a cold," Thomas sighed. "I hate to do this, but I think we need to head out early."

It was only three hours earlier than they'd intended to leave—they had to drive back and wanted to get settled in before resuming their weekly routines for tomorrow, Monday morning—but Shawn felt her heart sink. Nonetheless, she couldn't disagree.

"Yeah, of course—I hope he feels better. Do you guys want anything quickly before you go? A coffee?" Shawn offered.

Chance giggled from her spot on the sofa, where Shawn didn't even know where she was. She sighed, insisting that Chance was joking and her coffee was not that bad.

"Mm, I hate to break it to you, but it really is," Thomas said, pulling Shawn into his arms and tightly embracing her. "Thanks for having us out, it was good to see you and see your place. We'll have to come again sometime soon."

"It might be easier for me to come to you," Shawn laughed, then moving onto Rachel, who was battling Nash in her arms. She smiled at her nephew, not wanting to get too close to him but also wanting to say goodbye. She regretted the time not spent in his life—she never visited him in the hospital when he was just born, but of course had seen photos now. Still, she wanted to make up for that lost time by savouring it now.