Chapter Six

I got a few more chances to get out of Arthur's apartment over the next week. Katty had decided Isaac and the rest of us needed exercise so we went on a field trip to a gym. It had been fun, playing a game of basketball with everyone. The Vampire's had even made sure there was an even ratio of humans to supernatural on either side.

And now that Arthur knew I didn't like staying indoors, he worked in a morning trip to the coffee shop every now and then. He warned me that if Sophia didn't show up soon he was going to have to take me grocery shopping again, because he had no idea what he would be buying without me.

Then there was the instance when I left the apartment on my own. I had been very careful to never even go near the door without Arthur's express permission. He always seemed to get nervous if he thought I was going to try to run. But this time, I hadn't had much of a choice.

I had whirled around as the door opened, a little later than usual. I stared in surprise as Arthur stumbled in, kicking the door shut behind him. He was clutching at his ribs and blood stained his shirt. He didn't even look at me. Just went straight for the hall.

I swallowed hard as I followed him, wondering why he was hurt. He pushed his way into the bathroom and yanked his shirt off. I shivered. Blood gushed from a nasty slash in his side. He looked at it in the mirror and frowned.

The ruined shirt acted as a rag to sop up the blood. It was still bleeding too heavily though. I hesitated, halfway down the hall, unsure of how close I should get to a wounded Vampire. "You should probably go to a hospital."

I flinched when he looked at me, eyes glowing red. He just wiped the shirt across his wound again. The wound was starting to close before my eyes. His terse assurance had my gaze jerking back up to his stormy grey eyes.

"I'll be fine." He checked it in the mirror, wiping away the blood again. He wet the shirt and wrung it out to finish cleaning himself up, then balled it up, looking irritated and moving sharply.

He started towards me and I backed away quickly. After losing so much blood, he was sure to want my throat. He just moved into the kitchen to throw the shirt away. Then he retreated into his bedroom and shut the door.

I sighed a breath of relief and went back to the kitchen. If he wanted to kill himself than who was I to argue? I finished up dinner and quietly went to knock on Arthur's door. The call to dinner went unanswered. As did the three after that.

Now I was starting to worry. He always answered me. I carefully tried the door. It wasn't locked, and I didn't get yelled at when I pushed it open. I peeked in and looked around the dark room. The light from the kitchen let me see that the place was filled with books. A desk in one corner was littered with papers. Apparently, his tendency for cleanliness didn't extend into this room.

"Arthur?"

There wasn't a single sound. I crept in further and my eyes slowly adjusted. I spotted him, laid out on a low bed. I wondered if I was making a mistake as I moved a little closer. Close enough to touch him.

I brushed his shoulder and then jerked back, wary of sudden attacks. Nothing. I moved forward again, worried. I laid a hand on his shoulder. Not a single move. I couldn't even hear him breathing. I blinked and leaned in close. He wasn't breathing. My shaking fingers searched for a pulse but I didn't find that either.

I turned and dashed out of the room. Through the apartment and out the door. Down the hall. I skidded to a halt at the door I was sure was right and pounded on it. Zach opened the door and gave me a strange look. I didn't wait for him to speak.

"I think Arthur is dead. He came home with a wound and started to heal but then he went to bed and I can't find a pulse. Please, you've got to come help. I don't know what to do."

Zach yelled over his shoulder, sounding worried but not rushing. He certainly wasn't panicking like I was. "Hey Sable, bring the first aid kit to Arthur's will ya?" He moved to head down the hall and I ran ahead of him. He stayed close on my heels until I stepped into Arthur's room. Then he passed me as I stopped, remembering Arthur's rule to stay out of his room. I missed whatever it was that Zach did, but Arthur opened his eyes and looked around.

"What?" He sounded a little irritated.

Zach smiled and shook his head. "Nothing. You just managed to scare your human. He thought you were dead."

I felt the tension drain out of me as he appeared to be acting normal. I leaned back against the wall by the door with a sigh. I felt them both looking at me but I didn't care. I was just glad he wasn't dead. And wasn't that an interesting thought.

I glanced up when Sable came in with a big white box and trailing Henri behind her. Henri stopped next to me, looking me over worriedly. I shook my head in a silent request to not worry.

"Everyone alright?" Sable got right down to business, setting the medical supplies on the floor in easy reach and looking Arthur over.

Arthur growled and sat up. "I'm fine. Get out."

Zach glanced back at me, then turned back to Arthur. "How'd you get wounded?"

Arthur relented to Sables prodding and lifted his shirt to show her the blemished skin. It was smaller than it had been. "It was an attempted mugging is all. I made sure they paid for it. Now I just want to rest." He stressed the last word as he glared at Sable.

Sable gave him a warning look but backed off. She turned to Zach. "He'll be alright. The wound isn't something to worry about anymore. He's just a little blood drunk is all. And as difficult a patient as always."

Zach nodded, snorting in amusement. "You don't have to tell me. I've patched him up enough times to know that one well." He grinned when Arthur rolled his eyes and patted his friend on the shoulder as he got to his feet. Sable collected up her box and headed for the door. Henri squeezed my shoulder and followed her. I blinked when Zach also squeezed my shoulder on his way out. "Thanks."

I stared after them. Then I looked around the room in interest. That was when I realized this wasn't a bedroom at all. It was an office and a library. Arthur had been sleeping on a cot in here. The realization that Arthur had given up his bed for me made me feel bad.

I jumped when Arthur cleared his throat, turning back to face him. His raised eyebrow reminded me I wasn't actually supposed to be in here. "Sorry. I'll just leave now." I started to rush out of his room when he called me back.

"Wait." He studied me as I poked my head back in. "Thank you for worrying about me my friend."

I stared in open-mouthed shock. I had been expecting a scolding. Not to be thanked. I realized I probably looked stupid when I noticed a small smile on Arthur's face. I snapped my jaws shut and gave a hesitant bow. "You're welcome." I looked down at the floor, suddenly timid. "Dinner is ready."

I quickly left his room after that, collecting up my dinner and settling at the table. I was honestly glad he didn't come out and eat. I needed some time to think. And his assessing gaze just did not make that possible.

I had almost scraped my plate clean when I registered what he had called me at the end there. He had called me his friend.