Chapter Eighteen

We found out that Katty had managed to make a call soon after that Monday and Max had gotten a chance to talk to her. It had apparently helped with his nightmares. But it was another three weeks before we got any more word from Katty.

Arthur looked at his phone when it went off, then turned it towards me. I quickly read the text. 'Katty is back. Come to her apartment if you want to see her surprise reunion with Max and Jason.'

I grinned and nodded. Arthur shut off the TV and we headed upstairs. I noticed Henri with Zach and Sable heading for their Mistresses apartment as well. I trotted to catch up and tapped Henri on the shoulder. He turned back and grinned at me.

"Think he'll be honest with himself or try to hide it?"

I chuckled and shrugged. "I hope he's honest with himself. He's rather stubborn though." I glanced back and slowed to wait for Arthur. He noticed and lengthened his stride to catch up. We climbed the stairs rather than wait for the elevator and then we were walking into Katty's apartment.

Jake and Emilio were right behind us. Then we were all present, finding seats as Tony started feeding Max and Jason a story about having a party for no particular reason. I sat down next to Arthur, taking up one end of the couch.

I grinned at Max. He frowned back. He was still taking Katty's disappearance rather hard. I was positive it was because he was actually starting to love her. Her and Jason. He had been dealing with her absence by clinging to Jason more. It would be good to see them all together again. For whatever reason, they just worked together.

Tabitha started wiggling in her seat as the door opened and I feared she was going to give it away. Understanding seemed to dawn on Jason's face. Max was still oblivious. Jason grinned, his eyes flicking to Max when Katty leaned against the corner and spoke up, revealing her presence.

"Hope you ordered in Tony. I'm not cooking."

Max froze, and the look on his face was one of surprise. He whirled around, barely missing hitting Jason in his frantic attempt to get over the couch as soon as possible. I chuckled as he ran into her arms. Others were grinning and cooing as Jason made it around the couch and joined in on the embrace.

We visited for a little while, then left them to get reacquainted in private. Arthur had to get to work too. I finished off a book and killed some time folding laundry before I would have to get started on dinner. I flipped through my cookbooks until I found something that looked good. Pasta with cheese, chicken and vegetables. I had barely gotten started when my peace was disrupted in a violent way.

I looked up from the stove as the door burst in. Strange men filed in, two of them immediately coming for me. I backed away from them, looking to put my back against a wall. I'd go down swinging if I had my way. They lunged for me and I yanked the cheese sauce I had been working on off the stove, throwing it at the first.

He lifted his arms to defend his face and I used the distraction to round the table at top speed, looking to get out the door and to Zach's place before they caught me. I grunted as I was blocked by two big men and I furiously let fly with my fists. I heard the satisfying crunch of a nose and then I was overwhelmed.

I was dragged towards the man who appeared to be in charge and shoved to my knees to help quell my struggling. I bared my teeth and hissed, a sign I had been with Vampires too long. But he didn't seem to catch onto that. And I had yet to see any fangs or glowing eyes so I was beginning to lean towards humans.

The leader chuckled at my attempt at intimidation. "Calm yourself. I don't want you." He glanced at the hall as two men came back from checking the place out. Then his gaze dipped back down to me. "I want Arthur Bradley. Know him?"