Chapter Twenty-Two

As I learned later, Arthur had convinced Katty that we humans needed training in self-defense. I guessed that after Max's kidnapping and my unfortunate involvement in Arthur's business, Arthur had decided that we needed to be able to fight back more effectively.

Which brought us back to the basement level of the gym for something a little more constructive than a game of basketball.

I looked around as we assembled beside the mat. Arthur stood with Katty and Zach in the middle. Tony was eagerly pacing around to one side, ready if they needed help. I glanced down the line at Henri and Max, then back over my shoulder as Jake and Isaac came in with Emilio and Chris. Emilio and Chris both took a seat on the side-lines with Jason, apparently not joining this lesson.

Katty smiled and slapped her hands together, rubbing them in anticipation. "Alright. Self-defense 101. Rule number one. When it comes to protecting yourself, dirty fighting is perfectly acceptable. Especially against a stronger opponent."

She turned to look at Arthur and he faced her. She glanced at us humans to make sure we were following along as she started throwing mock punches and jabs against Arthur. "Eyes, nose, stomach, groin, anyplace that will allow you to escape and get away."

She held out her wrist and Arthur grabbed it. "Break holds by twisting towards weak joints." She rolled her hand towards Arthur's thumb and forced him to let go. "We'll go over those on a one on one basis. Eventually, we'll get up to some actual sparring." She suddenly whirled into motion, throwing punches and kicks at Arthur.

He dodged most of it, blocked the rest, and finally caught one jab and used it to flip her onto her back. She grunted as she landed, then grinned up at Arthur. He backed off when she kicked her feet over her head and straight up into the air, using her Vampire strength to push into a hand stand. Then she dropped her feet back to the floor and straightened. She nodded towards Max. "Come here."

Max took in a breath and strode onto the mat towards her. She smiled at him and quickly showed him what to do. Henri moved towards Zach. I glanced at Jake as he went with Tony, then at Isaac. He was staring at Arthur with a terrified expression. I put a hand on his shoulder.

"I know he looks a little scary but he's not actually all that bad." I grinned when I caught Arthur's raised brow.

We picked up the basics quickly. Most of it was simple jabs and kicks designed to allow us a chance to run. Katty decided we were doing well enough after an hour to call it quits for the day. She made sure we all had something to drink and then looked around at us proudly.

I looked around too. I didn't see anything to be proud of. We had all collapsed to the mat in exhaustion, breathing hard and sweating after the work out Katty had put us through. All the Vampires looked fresh and ready to go another hour or two at least.

"Very good boys. This was a good start. We'll start making this a weekly thing until every one of you can dodge a Vampire and escape." She grinned as Jake shoved himself up on his elbows, groaning.

"I didn't think I was so weak. I think my legs are declaring mutiny."

Katty chuckled. "You're getting healthy again. You've gained enough weight to be on the low side of average. Now it's time to build some muscle. And I'm afraid, no pain no gain is how the saying goes."

Jake moaned and flopped back again. "Alright. Whatever you say."

Tony stretched up towards the ceiling, showing off a hint of belly. "This was kinda fun. I look forward to doing this next week." She laughed when she was shot a couple dirty looks, mine among them.