Chapter Twenty-Seven

It was too late. He had said he would only be gone an hour, three hours ago. I slipped out of the apartment and over to Zach and Sable's place. Sable opened the door, looking just as worried as I was. She shook her head before I could even open my mouth.

"All I know is, Zach and Arthur went out to back Katty up and they haven't called to check in at all." She glanced back when Henri came over to the door. Then she turned back to me. "Have you tried calling Arthur? I can't reach Zach."

I didn't get a chance to answer. She suddenly choked and clutched at her chest. She started to fall when Henri and I caught her, hefting her between us. Henri went from worried to frantic.

"Sable! What's wrong?!" She let out a strangled cry and Henri turned to me. "Let's get her into bed."

Sable shook her head and hissed as she struggled to take her own weight. "No. Katty's place. Katty's place now."

Henri looked to me. I sighed and started helping Sable towards the elevator. When we got to Katty's apartment, I looked around. Jake and Emilio were already there, Jake pacing and Emilio looking almost as bad as Sable on the couch. Jake noticed us come in and quickly hurried over.

"Her too? What's going on?!"

I shook my head and helped Henri get Sable settled on the couch. "No idea. Where's Katty? And Max and Jason for that matter? And Logan?! Why are we the only ones in this apartment when it's usually full of people?!"

Jake shook his head, then jerked around when the door opened again. Tabitha rushed in, frantic and teary eyed. Atreyu followed on her heels. They didn't have any information either. Soon after them came Isaac, supporting Joan while Chris staggered along behind them. This was getting more and more worrisome.

I jumped to my feet when Tony came in, grim faced and leading a woman that oozed magic. My blood ran cold when right behind them came Jason, carrying Katty's lifeless body. Max hurried along on Jason's heels, his eyes red from crying and stubbornly clinging to hope.

Tony didn't even acknowledge anyone. She just led the way into Katty's bedroom and started giving clipped instructions. Then she shoved Jason and Max out of the bedroom, telling them to stay out or else and slamming the door in their faces.

They hovered there, looking lost. Jake slid over to comfort Max while Tabitha gently pulled Jason away from the door. She tried the knob but Tony had locked it. The apartment went from deathly quiet to full of whispered questions.

Jason collapsed into a chair and shook his head helplessly as everyone began to ply him with questions. "We went out to help with a Were problem. We got into a fight. She was protecting Max and got shot with a lot of silver in the chest." He wiped a hand over his eyes and shuddered in distress. The shock was catching up with him.

I turned to Max. He wasn't doing well. The hope was fading to be replaced with horror and self-loathing. "It's my fault. It's all my fault."

Jason was suddenly out of his seat and catching Max in a tight embrace. "No, Max. No. Listen to me. It could have just as easily been me. Or Tony even. She would have protected any of us. Don't blame yourself, alright?"

The bedroom door opened and the witch came out. Max and Jason were immediately trying to push their way into the bedroom behind her. Tony met them, looking worn and tired. "Just Jason." Max started to protest and she emphatically shook her head. "When she comes to, she's going to drain the first blood she comes across. That won't be you."

Jason put a hand on Max's head and turned him for a desperate kiss. Then he was sliding past Tony. Tony shut the door behind her and steered Max back towards me. I bit my lip as I settled a hand on Max's shoulder. He sagged into me. Tony gave me a sad smile and staggered over to sit with Sable.