Chapter 7

As I drove into a busy town, I look to my right to see a sign that says "Apartment for Rent". I smiled and pulled over.

I got out my truck and examined the building carefully. The building was white, and looked about 4 stories high. The windows were very clean, and the building looked fantastic.
I walked into the apartment building, where a woman around my age was standing behind a desk.

"Hello, can I help you?" She said super politely. I smiled and said "Yes, I saw your sign outside. Would I be able to rent an apartment?" She clapped her hands together and turned around. She looked through a bunch of keys hanging on the wall.

She grabbed one that was under the label '22' and turned to look at me.

"Here is the key," she said handing it to me before continuing. "Follow me."

She walked me up three flights of stairs and then went down the hall to the end where she stopped at the door labeled '22'. "OK, so welcome. There are a few rules but there not dramatic. One, you can come in whenever you want, but don't disturb the people around you. Two, you can't have a loud party. Three, don't come home drunk. Four, you must pay the rent of $150 a month on time. And I think that's about it really. But welcome again, and oh yeah my names Maddie." She said while putting her hand out for me to shake it.

I shook her hand while saying "Desiree." She then smiled and walked away.

I put the key in the lock and turned it to the left, and swung the door open. The room was beautiful. The walls were ocean blue, and so was the bed. The bathroom was white, with golden towel holders, and the shower had a sliding glass door. I walked over to the closet and opened it. It was a huge walk in closet, with tons of shelves and racks.

I looked at the time on the clock on the wall, 4:30pm.

I grabbed the key to my new room, and shut the door. I then walked down the flights of stairs so I could grab my clothes, and belongings out the truck. I grabbed my bags and looked down the road where I saw McDonalds. I smiled widely and quickly ran my stuff up to my room.

Before I ran down I grabbed my wallet, and phone. As I exited the building once again I walked up to McDonald's quickly.

Before entering I looked to see the sign 'Help Wanted'.

This was great, I could live a few blocks away from work. I ran inside, and looked at the girl at the counter.

She didn't look happy. More like she wanted to punch me in the face.

"Um, would I be able to apply for the position to work hear?" I ask in the most kind voice I can come up with. She glares at me before saying "You got the job. Your the only one stupid enough to work here." She then threw a paper at me along with a name tag. "Write your stupid name. Read the rules paper, you start tomorrow. You'll be on trash duty." She says still glaring daggers at me.

I was going to ask about the uniform, and even buy some food but this girl scares me.

I walk out with my name tag and the rules paper.

So this girl hates me, and I'm going to work with her. Shit, what did I get myself into.