eight

tuesday 1st of march 2016

Peter was incredibly irritable at school the next day. He hadn't gotten any sleep the previous night and had forgotten about his physics homework and ended up having to do it in the library during recess. J.D stayed in there to help him, but she wasn't actually that good at physics. She sat with him, procrastinating instead of doing her history assignment due at the end of the day, picking at her nails. 

Peter let out a loud groan and let his head fall onto the table. "I hate everything." 

"I feel you, brother." She muttered, her eyes closed as she reclined in her chair. Peter turned his head and sent her a look before sighing heavily. J.D opened one eye and looked over at him. "Chill, Pete. You've only got two questions left."

"I know, but then we've got this stupid Health assignment due soon and an English essay due next Monday," Peter stressed, "how can you expect me to chill?!"

"Wow, I haven't even thought to start my essay." J.D replied, closing her eyes again. "I usually just leave everything as late as I can until I regret it and tell myself not to do it again."

"But you still do it." Peter stated, and J.D grinned. 

"Absolutely." She responded and placed her hands behind her head. "The bell's gonna ring soon, I'd finish that if I were you."

Peter rolled his eyes and picked up his pencil again, beginning to scribble down numbers and letters. 

+++

Come doused in mud, soaked in bleach -- As I want you to be--

"Hello?" J.D answered without looking at her Caller I.D. She was walking down the street dressed in a pretty black skirt and white mesh shirt, a pair of high top burgundy DMs on her feet. She wasn't headed anywhere in particular, she just felt like getting out of the apartment. 

"J.D, thank god." Ben Parker rushed out, and J.D stopped in the middle of the pavement when she heard his stressed tone.

"Ben?" She asked, her voice laced with concern. "What's wrong? Are you alright?"

"I don't know." He admitted. "Have you seen Peter or heard from him?"

"Not since I left this afternoon." She responded and furrowed her eyebrows. "What's happened?"

"We got into an argument and he stormed out." Ben said, sounding strained. "He hasn't come back and I can't find him. He won't answer my calls, and I thought maybe he'd have called you."

"Sorry Ben, he hasn't." She replied. "Do you want me to help look for him?"

"I'd really appreciate that." He muttered. "May's at home just in case he goes there. I'm just around the corner from Crocheron Park."

"Oh, I'm only five minutes away from there." J.D said before she began walking again, her pace quick and her face concentrated. "I'll try and call Pete and I'll see you in a few."

"Thank you so much, J.D." The older man said, clearly exasperated. 

J.D hung up and dialled Peter as she dashed down the street. She waited impatiently as it rang, and cursed when it went straight to voicemail. "Hey, this is Peter. I'm currently unavailable at the moment so please leave a message after the beep. Thanks."

"Answer our calls, you little shit." She snapped before hanging up and shoving her phone in her pocket. 

She wouldn't admit it, but she was scared. For all she knew, Peter could have been taken off the street like she was the previous year. She could only imagine how many times everyone tried to reach her when she was kidnapped, and she couldn't help but think of the worst for her friend.