nineteen

wednesday 8th of june 2016

AVENGERS COMPOUND, UPSTATE

Wanda Maximoff didn't know what she was feeling. There was an overwhelming anger inside her body, and if she was pushed one more time in the wrong direction, she felt like she would explode.

Her upper half hurt, like someone had taken a knife and stabbed her repeatedly in the gut, and then bashed her on the head with a sledgehammer. She was aching, with both guilt and vexation.

She was fully aware Lagos was her fault. She was trying to etch into her mind that throwing Crossbones into the air was a bad move, but at the same time, she would think to herself, but how many people would have died if I hadn't?

She was beginning to lose faith in both herself and the Avengers.

Steve had left for England a couple of days ago, mumbling about a funeral and how the team couldn't get into any more trouble while he was gone, and when she tried to leave for the supermarket, Vision forbid her from leaving.

Tony Stark had forbid her from leaving.

He said that she was a danger, that she couldn't control herself. She was working on it. Her self esteem was plummeting by how much the people surrounding her were trying to subtly keep her away from citizens, because she could potentially harm them.

Maybe they were right, maybe she could. That didn't mean she wanted to.

She missed Pietro. She missed the way he would comfort her and give her hope when everything seemed bleak. If he had seen the way she was being treated he would've been livid.

A smile wavered on Wanda's lips at the thought.

She also missed J.D. It had been just as long since she had last seen the girl. Whenever a phone was nearby, she would look at it and try to remember the number J.D gave her once in Sokovia, but nothing ever came to mind. Oh, how much she wanted to see her little face and huge smile, maybe this time it would be something genuine.

She lay in bed, staring at the ceiling with a million thoughts running through her head at a thousand miles per hour. She should've been asleep, even under her covers would've been more appropriate than lying, fully dressed in a state of despair.

She needed a distraction, anything to get her mind off of what was happening now.

A loud explosion from outside made Wanda leap out of bed out of instinct. She ran out of her bedroom and into the sitting room, where Vision was floating by the window. She jogged to his side, her wide eyes resting on the orange and gold flames beyond the glass. "What is it?"

"Stay here." Vision ordered, and Wanda suppressed a huff. Where the hell was she going to go anyway?

A small crunch from behind her was enough for the woman to twitch, her telekinetic power latching onto a kitchen knife and swinging it towards the intruder. She turned with the weapon in the air, and her gaze fell onto where the knife was pointing. Rather, who the knife was pointing at.

Clint Barton stood in the centre of the room, all geared up and on a mission. His eyes were crossed as he stared at the knife before him. He lifted his fingers up and knocked it out of the way, sending the levitating object to the ground. "Guess I shoulda' knocked."

"Oh my god." Wanda exhaled in relief, her feet moving quicker than her mind as she approached him. "What are you doing here?"

Clint scrunched his face up as he walked towards her, pulling an arrow from his pack. He twirled it around his head and loaded it into his bow. He shot one either side of the room, the pointy ends landing in pillars. "Disappointing my kids. We were supposed to go water-skiing."