twenty-four

monday 20th of june 2016

The Avengers estate wasn't too hard to locate. J.D and Michelle had found it and managed to get a bus ticket that dropped her about a kilometre away from the gates. They had also 'borrowed' a couple of Michelle's mum's bluetooth earpieces that let them chat while J.D was on sight. 

The James Bond theme song was stuck in her head as she snuck into the compound. Luck was on her side that day as well, as a courier truck was pulling into the estate, giving her access inside. Her feet crunched against the gravel driveway, the sounds concealed by the spinning of the tires. 

"You know, these bluetooth things are pretty cool." Michelle muttered in her ear, and J.D smiled softly as she jumped onto the porch of the main building. She  waited for the old postman to get out and knock on the glass door, startling the two men inside. 

"Tony Stank!" The darker skinned man piped up, a pained smile on his face. J.D squinted slightly. Was that Rhodes? What happened to him? "Someone's here for you!"

Tony Stark sent Rhodes a glare and walked over to the glass, typing in a password on the keypad and opening it for the elderly postman. 

J.D managed to slip through the entrance as the middle aged man signed for the package. "Thanks, man."

"Not a problem, Mr. Stank." The man replied with a kind, wrinkly smile, and J.D watched as Rhodes grinned. 

As the postman drove off, Tony turned to Rhodes and sent him a glare. "It's your fault that's a thing now."

"Whatever, Stank." Rhodes mocked. "Come on, help me back to my room, that's enough for today."

"Yes, sir." Tony rolled his eyes as he spoke sarcastically, and J.D walked past them and into the house without making a sound.

It was strange, walking through the main building. She had never 'broken into' someone's home before, and it felt wrong, but also quite fun. She didn't want to snoop, knowing it was wrong, so she was just going to find Tony's office. 

It took her a while, though she did take the time to admire the rooms she walked through. It was wonderfully designed, but it all seemed so empty. It was clear there weren't many around anymore.

As J.D entered the main living area, she passed the familiar red man, Vision, sitting on one of the couches, staring into space. Between his fingers was a chess piece, and he seemed almost distracted. She didn't pay him much mind, she knew he couldn't see her anyway. 

J.D then passed Black Widow, or Natasha Romanoff. The redhead was leaning against the balcony barrier, looking thoughtful and for lack of better word, just plain unhappy. J.D paused for a moment, but exhaled and continued to walk, ignoring how the assassin turned around, only to be met by nothing. 

"Where in the compound are you?" Michelle asked, and J.D looked up to see two doors, one of them open. 

"I think I'm at Cap's office." She said in a whisper, her eyebrows furrowing when she saw a figure inside. She tapped the bluetooth piece again, hanging up on her friend. 

Hearing the sound of papers shuffling, J.D took a step inside and saw Tony Stark sitting at his desk, watching the phone line blink. An opened package had been tossed to the side, obviously days old, and a new letter was sitting in front of him, scrunched up carelessly. 

J.D wanted to be angry at him, but she couldn't find it in herself when she saw his state. 

She knew he was the kind of person to hide his feelings from everyone, pretending he was chipper all the time, but seeing him there and then made J.D's heart fall a little.