epilogue (rw)

(THIS HAS BEEN REWRITTEN CAUSE I DON'T LIKE HOW THE ORIGINAL ENDING WAS SET OUT HAHAHA LOL SOZ GUYS)

three weeks later

"You want to go on an exchange?" Herb stared down at J.D's laptop screen, his aged eyes squinting behind his reading glasses and his shoulders hunched slightly. An inquisitive expression graced his face as he glanced back at the twins, who were sitting awkwardly across from him on the couch. "To England?"

J.D nodded, clearing her throat. Her toes were curling up inside her shoes, and her heart was racing a little. She had thought it through, and she knew it was the right decision. "Yeah, it's super easy to get into, and we know that you've been getting really stressed with work lately. It's a flexible program and it's not expensive, like, at all."

"And..." Herb paused, looking between the siblings curiously. Mason was slightly more tense than J.D, his fingers raking through Belle's fur anxiously. "You both wanna do this?"

"It's...a good learning experience, f-for both of us." Mason stuttered slightly, as he wasn't as practiced in the art of lying compared to his sister. J.D pursed her lips and forced a smile at her uncle, who was still somewhat confused.

"And like you said the other day, New York's getting too dangerous, even with the Bladerunner, Spider-Man and the Avengers." J.D insisted, shoving her clenched hands in her pockets. It sucked that she was still lying to her uncle, but if it meant keeping him out of harm, she would do anything. "And don't forget about what happened to me at the beginning of the year, with Ben."

"How could I forget?" Herb sighed softly, reaching up to his face and thoughtfully brushing his hand against his beard. His eyes flickered between the computer screen and the twins, before he sat back in his chair a little more. "So, if you did go on the exchange, how would it work?"

"Well," J.D began, her eyes trailing to Mason for a moment before they settled back on her uncle. "We'd leave a couple of weeks before the semester starts up again, which means we have time to get used the environment. Mason and I looked at the options and thought Brighton was the best place to go. It's safe, and we used to go up there all the time with Mum. We'd start at the local high school there, stay for a few months, or however long we decide, and then we can come back and return to Midtown Tech without much trouble, since there's a relatively similar curriculum."

"Damn, you've both really thought this through." Herb muttered, and the twins nodded, though Mason was slightly more antsy. A moment of quiet graced the family, all three thinking the situation over. To break the silence, the middle aged man sighed again and placed the laptop on the coffee table. He laced his hands together and stared at his niece and nephew, his face solemn. "I want to keep you safe, that's all I've ever wanted to do. And if this...exchange thing means that you're out of harm's way, I'm happy."

"So, is that a yes?" J.D quirked an eyebrow, and Herb smiled, though it appeared slightly forced. J.D could see that this was hard for him, it was hard for her too. But if being put in the protection of Natasha's friend, Gus Matthews, meant her family would be safe, that was all the mattered.

"It's a maybe." Herb responded with a soft tone, and J.D unconsciously smiled at him, appreciative of his understanding. Even though he had no idea of who she was or what she could do, she was glad she still had his support in what she had to do.

+++

"Hey, stranger." Peter approached her as she walked out of the building. He flung his arm around her and she leaned into his side as they walked. His dark curls were getting a little long, and were drooping slightly in his eyes. J.D reached up and brushed them to the side so that she could see his eyes. Peter glanced down at her smaller figure, a wide grin gracing his lips. Maybe it sounded cheesy, maybe it was far too affectionate for two kids, but he was so deeply in love with her he felt like he was on top of the world. "How was your morning?"

"I slept for most of it, so it was just fine." She responded with a smile and he chuckled. J.D's insides were slightly mushy, as she didn't know when or how she was supposed to break the news to her boyfriend. Boyfriend. An icky word that both made her heart race and stop. She laced her hand with his as they walked down the street that lead towards the closest subway station. "How was yours?"

"May left early this morning so I've been up since dawn." He responded, with a pout, and J.D chuckled, poking his cheek with her free hand. The pair fell into easy conversation, talking about ridiculously mundane things with wishful voices and starry eyes. J.D's hand fell to the chain around her neck, trying to ignore the sinking feeling in her stomach. She had to tell him, but everything had been so perfect lately. There were no evil Hydra scientists after her, no murders, no extra pain. There were only scars where the bullets holes once were, and she was walking and running again. "What do you say we do some sight seeing?"

"I think that's a splendid idea." A grin immediately appeared on her face, and she pushed away the negative, painful thoughts in her head, just wanting to spend this time with him.

+++

"Woohoo!" Peter yelled out as he swung through the city, his arm securely around J.D's waist. Her arms were tight around his neck, her legs free beneath her.

The citizens of New York cheered and waved as the passed, some pulling out their phones and others clapping as the heroes flew by. J.D blushed, as she was visible and completely on view to the public for what felt like the first time. It was strange, the feeling that washed over her. She felt appreciated...important.

The couple laughed in chorus as Peter pulled them up to the top of the Brooklyn Bridge, the wind hitting their faces and the sun beating on their backs. It was perfect, though the rushing sounds from the loud and hectic traffic below was slightly unsettling.

J.D leaned against the large, cold pillar and holding onto Peter's hand, she looked down at the disruptive vehicles passing underneath them and smiled, though her frequent panicky feeling was rushing around inside her.

"You okay?" Peter called out over the noise, and J.D looked behind her, seeing his face completely covered by his mask. She turned around completely and pulled him into a hug, sighing into his chest. Peter wrapped his arms around her, though he was slightly confused. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." She said and looked up at him, reaching up and pulling off his mask so it sat on his forehead. She stared into his eyes and he stared back, worry swimming through them.

"Doesn't sound like nothing." He leaned down to whisper in her ear so she could hear him, before he pressed a kiss to her cheek. He pulled back and looked at her, trying to figure out what was wrong. "You can tell me anything, you know that, right? I'm your boyfriend now."

"You are?" J.D asked jokingly, trying to change the subject. "And here I thought we were still in the friend-zone."

Peter smiled down at her and kissed her forehead, then her nose, then her lips softly. J.D pulled a grossed out face and he laughed.

"Ew, so clingy." She snickered and he scoffed, pulling her back into him. She could tell he knew something was up, but she didn't know how to tell him the truth. She had to tell him before Mason did, because he would for sure.

Taking a deep breath, she groaned in frustration and pulled away, standing on the edge of the pillar and looking at the water. She crossed her arms and wished there was an easier way to say it.

"J.D, stop acting like we're in some dramatic romantic movie." Peter called and she stuck her tongue out. "What's up?"

J.D sighed and squeezed her eyes shut.

Peter laughed as he stepped up behind her. "C'mon, surely it can't be that bad, right?"

J.D huffed, running a hand through her hair and feeling like she was going to scream. She spun around and said it straight up to his face.

"I'm moving to England."

THE END