thirty-two

"Make yourself at home kid, you're gonna be here for a while."

J.D groaned and threw herself back onto her pillow. "The results came back in?"

"What do they say?" Mason asked, his eyes wide in panic. "Is she gonna be okay?"

"Well, her abilities have already served her pretty well, and she has a huge chance of recovering, but for now, she's temporarily paraplegic. I can explain it to you all some other time, but we need to figure out some kind of living arrangement for J.D here." Tony said, before looking at Mason. "You can stay here as well if you want."

"I'll think about it." Mason responded. "Our Uncle's in D.C at the moment, so he wouldn't know."

"Herb's in D.C?" J.D asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Yeah, you'd know that, but you were being all heroic." Mason quipped, and his twin rolled her eyes. Mason then turned his gaze to Tony. "I mean, I'll probably end up being here anyway, I'm scared of being by myself at night."

"Loser." J.D muttered, before moving and groaning in pain.

"Karma's a bitch." Mason grumbled under his breath, before smiling at his sister. "I'd rather stay with my gorgeous sister, wouldn't that be nice?"

"It'd be great." J.D responded just as cheerily, though she grimaced after she said it.

"Enjoying the enthusiasm between you two, genuinely." Tony remarked. "But I wanna know who's staying where. Peter, you're going home, don't bother arguing."

"But-" Peter stepped forward, and Tony held his hand up to silence him.

"Shut up." The middle-aged man snapped. "Mason, you can share with your sister or get your own room, but there's probably gonna be a couple of nurses in the room every couple of hours to help her out every night. If you want sleep, you can stay at home or take up the guest room. I'll hook up some tech in Wanda's room for J.D to stay in so it's somewhere sort of familiar. There's pictures of Speedy in there too."

"Speedy?" Peter rose an eyebrow, and Tony scoffed.

"Don't even get me started on that guy." The billionaire replied, before looking down at his screen and sighing in annoyance. "You kids need something happy with all this shit going on. I'll get someone to bring cake. Peter, go home, you've drunk all my coffee and eaten all my apples."

Rolling his eyes, Peter reached down to pick up his overnight bag. He walked over to J.D's side, pressing a kiss to her forehead, then smacking the back of Mason's head. "Bye guys."

"See ya, Pete." J.D called, before snickering at Mason, who was rubbing the back of his head in pain.

Tony rose an eyebrow at the twins, before clearing his throat. "J.D, I'm gonna need you to bring your files from your experimentation in when you can. I'm assuming you have them."

Mason glanced at J.D in surprise, and she avoided his gaze, suddenly quiet. She nodded at Tony's comment, and the billionaire spun on his heel, walking out.

The twins were silent for a while, and J.D was starting to drift off. Mason was thinking deeply, his mood dropping quicker and quicker by the second.

It annoyed him, that she wouldn't tell the truth. It had been a year since the incident, and she hadn't uttered a word to him. He was her other half, but now it didn't seem like it. He was sick of all the secrets being kept from him, he was through with all of the lies he had been fed. Though he had mentioned before it didn't matter, he knew that it really did. He didn't care if it was to 'keep him safe' or some other stupid shit like that. He felt like he had the right to know.