seventeen

friday 13th may 2016

"Did you see what the Daily Bugle posted online last night?" Mason stopped J.D when she left her room for the morning.

She rose an eyebrow. "No, what was it?"

Mason shoved his phone in her face, the famous photo of the Bladerunner with the title she had written last night. "She's got a name. Bladerunner."

"Why Bladerunner?" J.D queried, keeping the act up. Handing her his phone with the article open, Mason shrugged and jogged over to the kitchen, opening the refrigerator and pulling out an apple juice. "Does she have a knife or something?"

"Maybe." Mason called over his shoulder. "Pete's coming over in a few, keep me company while you're suspended. You know, in some ways you're lucky. There's a basketball game tonight and you have an excuse not to go."

The front door of the apartment opened, and Peter's slightly red face was revealed. "Hey, t-the door was unlocked so I, um, just thought it would be cool to let m-myself in."

J.D chuckled and offered the boy a smile. "How long have you known us, Pete?"

Peter didn't reply, he only smiled bashfully and scratched behind his head.

J.D walked around Mason and reached into the cabinet for a mug. "You guys better head off soon, the train's gonna leave in ten minutes."

Mason spluttered, his apple juice flying everywhere. "Shit!"

He quickly wiped his mouth and grabbed his bag from the kitchen counter. J.D grabbed his uneaten Eggo from next to the toaster and tossed it at him. She leaned against the side of the bench and waved at them. "Have a good day at school, love you boys!" 

Peter snorted as Mason shoved him out the door, waving back. "Thanks Mom! Love you too!"

J.D smiled and shook her head, holding her mug in her hands. "Kids."

+++

The funny part about J.D's suspension was that she somewhat enjoyed being away from school. Though it was only the first day, she managed to clean the entire apartment, take a bath and start dinner so Herb wouldn't have to.

She was in the kitchen baking cookies with an old grey apron on when Peter and Mason returned, singing along to the song on the radio.

"Give us a kiss and maybe we can go out, it's hard to miss you when you follow us about, buy us some shoes and maybe take us for cola-" She sang softly, nodding her head to the beat as she rolled the gingerbread out. She was so immersed in her baking she didn't notice the boys come in. The teenage boys shared a smile at her behaviour, before Mason nudged Peter, nodding at her. Peter sent him a glare and Mason grinned, sending him a wink.

Peter walked up to the kitchen island and pulled up a chair, watching J.D carefully.

The sound of the refrigerator opening alerted J.D, and she turned around with her rolling pin raised in the air. Her wide eyes narrowed into a glare. "Ah you're back."

"Smells good, sis." Mason complimented, wrapped an arm around her shoulder and pressing an annoyingly sloppy kiss to her cheek. "What's cooking?"

"I went to the supermarket today and got some beef, and then I made Yorkshire puddings and I've been cutting up vegetables." She said proudly, a beam on her face. Peter couldn't help but grin from where he was sitting, watching her in admiration. No matter how hard he tried, the feelings he was trying to get rid of were still there.

"Are you going to the game tonight?" Mason queried, picking up a cookie cutter and pressing it into the dough.

"I wasn't planning to, why?" She asked, focused on shaping the dough that her brother hadn't claimed.