thirty-three

tuesday 28th of june 2016

J.D's throat hurt from all the crying.

For days Tony and Peter attempted to help her walk, as they were a lot stronger than Mason (who wouldn't admit they were right). She was using an exo-skeleton frame on her lower half to help her move while she was healing. Though it did aid her, it brought tremendous pain to her weak and immobile legs.

Every time she put too much pressure on one foot she was in pure agony. The pain shot up her legs and into her back. It was a hot pain and made tears well up in her eyes every step she took.

"C'mon, you're doing fine." Peter said, his hand gripping her waist tightly. "You're okay, we just need to make it to the end of the room."

J.D pursed her lips and swallowed, taking another step and exhaling sharply. "Fuck!"

"I know it hurts, but you'll heal faster by building strength." Mason said from the sideline, and J.D flashed him a deadly glare.

"Said no one, ever." She snapped. "Shouldn't I be in bed, resting my legs?"

"Yeah, maybe." Tony said with a shrug. "But this is what the doctors told me to do with Rhodes, so this is what I'm doing with you. I didn't major in nursing, may I remind you."

"Fucking hell!" J.D wailed as she toppled over, Peter catching her at the last second. "I can't do this, Tony! I just want to sleep and bake some brownies."

"I didn't know you could bake." Tony raised an eyebrow as he and Peter bent down to help J.D back up.

"She bakes when she's stressed." Peter explained.

"Can we stop?" J.D asked, her dark eyes watery. "Please?"

"I'm not falling for the puppy eyes." Tony spoke stubbornly. "You're finishing this walk and you're gonna be damn proud of yourself. Then you can go back and be miserable again."

J.D clenched her jaw and nodded eventually. "You're right."

"Are you sure?" Peter asked. "I don't think you should do it."

"Me neither!" Mason called from the sidelines.

"I'm a badass, I do what I want." J.D breathed deeply, and Peter watched her in concern. "Okay, let's do this."

It was incredible to watch. She took each step with pride, though it was slow and every time she moved she'd groan in pain. There was a look of determination as she forced herself to the other wall.

J.D gasped out as she reached her hand towards the wall. Her face was strained and if she didn't have the exo-skeleton on she would've collapsed ages ago.

When her finger touched the plaster she heaved out a breath of relief. Mason jumped up and cheered for his sister, jogging over and reaching out for a hi-five. J.D laughed and bent her arm back to take it. Peter easily picked her up again, careful of her pained legs. "C'mon, let's get you back to bed."

"I'm invincible." J.D cheered, before groaning in pain as her leg swung to the side. "Fuck!"

"No, you're an idiot." Mason remarked and she sent him a deadly glare, though it didn't phase him in the slightest. "Run along and watch that weird ladybug show of yours."

"Ladybug show?" Tony asked, his eyebrows furrowed. "I thought all kids your aged watched the Kardashians?"

"Not all kids." J.D stuck her bottom lip out as she was carried into her room. "It's a good show, it actually reminds me a lot of Peter and me, though it's a lot cuter."