forty

chapter forty

"So, how's New York?" Mason's voice was loud and cheerful in J.D's ears, and she smiled a little as she sat on the side of her apartment building, swinging her legs over the edge carelessly. In true Bladerunner fashion, a chocolate bar was in her free hand and a half-empty cola bottle sat beside her, her body invisible. The only thing giving her away was the phone held up to her face. "Still full of angry taxi drivers and pigeons?"

"It hasn't changed that much since we were last here, Mase," J.D responded with a soft chuckle, taking another bite from her snack. The night breeze combed through her locks, and she felt just like she used to, which wasn't a feeling she wasn't sure she liked just yet. "We took Gus sightseeing today in Manhattan, and he nearly lost his phone when he was trying to take a photo from the observation deck of the Empire State Building. He also spent at least three hours in Times Square, trying all the food from the trucks."

"Did you get a picture of him with the Avengers impersonators?" Mason inquired, amusement lacing his tone. "It's so weird cause now I know two of them! Wait, are you an Avenger? What about Pete?"

"Oh, I don't know," J.D rolled her eyes, though a smile was present on her face. Despite the fact that it had only been a couple of days, she missed having her brother so close. He was her best friend; it felt weird not having him nagging her all the time. "Besides, I'm not Bladerunner anymore, remember? After all the shit that happened last time, it's not my thing."

"Yeah, yeah," Mason grumbled, not picking up on the fact that his sister was lying to him. J.D pulled a face as she fibbed, though she refrained from making any regretful sighs. "You excited to start school tomorrow...well, technically today?"

"What do you think?" J.D joked, and Mason snickered on the other line. J.D's smile returned and she looked around the city absentmindedly, taking in the night lights and moving cars that were still up and at it at three in the morning. "I dunno, I think it'll be okay, I'm just nervous about seeing everyone again. Gus is dropping me off and he's more excited than I am. It's like he's never been to public school before."

"Well, that's what twelve years of homeschooling does to a guy," Mason chuckled, before yawning. "I've got to work on the exhibition tomorrow, so I'm gonna go to bed. You'd better get some sleep too. At least three hours, okay?"

"What time is it there anyway? You're turning into an old man, like Gus," J.D retorted, and Mason gasped defensively.

"Excuse me? That is extremely offensive," he wise-cracked, scoffing. J.D could imagine him rolling his eyes playfully. "Now, before I get my precious feelings bruised by your harsh words any more, I'm going to bed. Yes, it's early, but I'm a respectable young student who needs his beauty rest. Goodnight, loser."

"Night, Mase," J.D suppressed a chuckle, placing her phone in her holster as her brother hung up. Silence dawned over her, and a sigh escaped her lips. She scrunched up her chocolate wrapper and shoved it in one of the pockets she had asked Tony to put in (though it took a lot of trying due to his 'fashion designer experience'). Without turning around, she grabbed the neck of her cola bottle and threw her head back, chugging the last few drops before swallowing and releasing a quiet belch. Then, she looked down at the street below in search of a rubbish bin.

Her eyes spotted one not too far from her, and she debated whether or not to wing it as she went down or take the stairs. She pursed her lips as she thought, before her eyebrows furrowed together and she reached out her hand, a shaky force field building before her. The misty pale blue colour brought back a few memories for her, and she gulped, before jumped off the building and landing on the trembling pad.