eighteen

wednesday 25th of may 2016

J.D pulled her legs up to her chest, staring into the horizon. Her view was limited due to the rain and cloud hanging over the city.

Her expression was blank and empty, just like her. Ever since the god awful few days a couple of weeks ago, she had been nothing but drained. She had kept her eyes out for Krüger, but he had only appeared in her dreams.

She had been retreating into the night a lot more, and had found a construction site on top of a parking lot a few miles away that provided a cosy shelter for her to retreat to. It was doing her good now, and she rested her chin on her knee, her eyes watching the city come alive. It brought her peace, watching how other people lived. She felt cosy even, being amidst the storm but with a coat of armour surrounding her.

When she had returned back to school, it felt as if she was being babied. She was never left alone, and if she was, it would only be for a few seconds. It was sweet how her friends cared for her, but she didn't want them to hover over her.

It was only ten at night, so the streets were still full of people rushing to get home to their own lives. Herb was sick so he had been bedridden the past couple of days, and was completely ignorant to the fact that his niece wasn't in her room like he thought, as he had gone to bed early.

Mason was with Peter at a local comic expo, and though she had been invited, J.D preferred to stay by herself that night.

She looked down at the streets, her head covered by the shelter the construction site gave her, and she frowned when she saw two teenage boys walking past. When she noticed the scruffy hair and beige Jansport backpacks, she scoffed. It was Peter and Mason.

Her eyes trailed off a little bit, before they widened when she spotted three older men walking towards them quickly. They were all dressed in black and J.D squinted through the rain to see the glint of a knife. She quickly threw herself off the side of the building, catching herself on the edge and lowering herself down. She landed on the ground softly, and advanced towards her brother and friend.

The man with the knife was closing in on Mason, and she gasped out, throwing a force field at the three males, becoming visible. Mason and Peter turned around, and the former almost fell back in shock.

J.D's face was strained as she pushed the force field back, throwing the men several metres away. She collapsed to the ground in exhaustion and shielded her face from the two boys. Said teens ran over and she flinched away when they reached out.

"Thanks." Mason breathed, his eyes wide in admiration. "That was so badass! You're her, the Bladerunner, right?"

J.D pressed her lips into a smile and nodded at him. She wasn't going to use her voice, just in case.

Peter was staring down at her with a grin. "I knew you'd be back! This is so cool!"

J.D pushed herself up off the ground and disappeared without a word. Mason gasped and began jumping up and down like a fanboy. "Oh my god, oh my god! She's invisible!! That's so dope! J.D'll never believe us!"

Peter's head was bouncing up and down as he nodded quickly in agreement. He was still staring at where the Bladerunner had been, a somewhat knowing look on his face. He had to see her again.

+++

thursday 26th of may 2016

"And then we heard this 'whoosh' and we turned around and she was there! She had this blue suit on like in the pictures, and she had this force field around the muggers, and then she pushed them across the street!" Mason gushed, and J.D watched him with amused eyes. It was the morning after the incident, and they were walking to school with Peter. "And the best part? She's invisible! It was so fucking badass!"