Chapter Eight

All I could do was cry. I didn't know what was going on and my confused little mind was confusing my heart. Emotions were sparking everywhere and I could feel them, but I couldn't control them. It was Alania's brave nature that helped hold my tears and emotions back as well as they did, but with her gone, I felt like a gazelle being chased by a lion, I felt week and vulnerable once an opening had emerged and life took advantage of it, leaving me without my wolf spirit therefore leaving me as a weak child. This will only cause the wolves at school to label me as a target and I'm too fragile, emotionally and physically.

What's happening to Alania? Why didn't she tell me about this sooner? Why must she rest? She's been resting for years, never harmed, never even seen.

My mind raced through plenty more questions and answers as I walked through the rain. I made up my mind, I'm not going home till I feel it is safe. Till then I'd walk around and explore more parts of the forest, making sure my scent can't be traced. The more I walked the more I got cold and... tired? With Alania I wouldn't be this weak. I wouldn't feel this exposed. Werewolf's hardly ever got cold, let alone tired after walking only five miles. Maybe it's because... no, no! I don't believe it! Without Alania, I was... human... But I couldn't be, I hadn't yet slowed my pace completely, but then again I have always been fast. I remember dad having to start carrying a cane to pull me back if I strayed too far when I was a kid.

Damn it! I'm not human, I won't stand for this! I'm a werewolf, I can't be human even if I tried.

Anger boiled within and I began to radiat heat, warming me up, as my adrenaline rushed.

I am not one of those weak, pathetic things! I am stronger especially mentally. I am superior compared to them.

I suddenly stopped as I paid attention to what I was saying. I never spoke like that before. I sounded cruel and harsh even if it was for just a second. It's hard. It's cold. It's ruthless talk. It's-

Human.

If my canines could elongate I'm sure I'd have been sinking my teeth into my arm as I bit down through my red sweater. I had to wake up some way. This is a worse nightmare than my recurring dead clone. Sure enough as the pain shot through my nerves and I released my limb, I had to face the fact: I am human.

But I can't be, a small part of me rebutted, a good sign of hope.

----

It took a few hours to finally walk through the front door and it took me by surprise when I saw that Tomias, Dustin, Soroyo, and Carren all stood in the hallway. Their eyes instantly connected with mine and I could have sworn I saw fire in her eyes. Seeing this I lowered my gaze and whisper.

"I'm sorry I missed the meeting. I would have gone but when I came home there was a rogue that-" Tomias cut me off.

"We know, when we arrived the door was still open and... Damn it Val," he says while running a hand through his dark brown hair. His eyes actually looked worried and wild. "You scared the shit out of me! Why didn't you at least mind link Carren?" He shouts and I felt intimidated by the power in his voice... alpha power.

I don't know what happened, but I felt the need to comfort him. I felt the waves of anxiety rolling off him like tides against a rock and I knew he cared enough about me to allow himself such stress. I whimper and run to him, shocking him at my charge, and wrap my arms around his torso. His muscles were tense and rigid. I hugged him tighter and he relaxed, pulling me closer to his monstrous form. A hand on my shoulder, the other on my hair as he rests his chin on top of my head. Now only concern left him, no distress and I felt my mission was almost complete.

"Don't do that ever again. Promise me, Val, that you will contact someone next time," he says and I listen to his steady heartbeat, something about it was oddly familiar and calming.