Chapter Ten

A headache rose causing for me to flinch in pain. My hand lifting till it landed on my temple. I felt as if my skull was going to explode.

I had no idea as to where I was, what had happened, or how long I had been out of it and the throbbing migraine did nothing but made me want to cry out.

Everything was black and I soon realized that my eyes were closed. It took everything in me to slowly open them only to shut them closed due to the bright light that blinded my vision.

"Miss Monroe?" asks a voice.

The sound was scratchy and only made my head hurt more. I groaned but immediately coughed. My throat was extremely sore and when I cleared my throat it felt as if it were on fire. I wanted to yelp at the sharp pains that forced its way through my neck, but nothing came out. I began to panic. My breaths became short and fast and my body squirmed. I tried to ask the person who spoke if they could help me but when I opened my mouth to speak only a croak was heard so I tried again and again and again. My eyes shot open the minute I realized I couldn't talk. Even though I was blinded by the bright lights I ignored it and focused on the bigger problem here which is the fact that I can't speak.

My hands went to my throat as I shot straight up in the bed I was laying on, the white sheets pooling around my small waist as I touched the tender skin. My neck felt large and swollen. It hurt to touch it, the second I did I squeaked and dropped my hands. My chest rose and fell rapidly and my pulse quickened. My hair fell in my face but I made no effort to push it back. Fear and shock overwhelmed my entire being as I went over what had happened over the past few hours. I remember going to my safe haven after a rogue attacked me. I remember going home after Alania left and I remember staying up all that night. I was deciding what I wanted: to live or to die. I know I had made up my mind later that day, but I don't remember what happened and the more I tried to the bigger a migraine grew. Instead of reliving whatever day that was I need to focus on the now. I had no idea what today was nor what time it is. I don't know how long ago those events took place and I don't know where I am or why I'm here wherever here is.

Footsteps sounded to my left coming towards me. My head shot up and I swayed at the dizzy feeling. My eyes squinted in confusion as Mrs. Pheonis, the school nurse, stood at my side. She sighed, obviously relieved which only aroused my curiosity. I watched her as a smile graced her red lips and her green eyes shined brightly while she handed me an ice pack.

"You gave me quite a scare when Mr. Bick rushed here with you in his arms  unconscious," she says with a sigh as she eyed me carefully.

I took the ice pack and since I already knew what she wanted me to do with it I gently placed it on my neck, cringing at the pain and how cold it was.

"Do you mind telling me what happened?" she asks.

I opened my mouth and tried to speak, but nothing came out. I began to panic again and tears ran down my face. I shook violently as my body was racked with frightened sobs.

Mrs. Pheonis was reaching for my arms as she started whispering soothing words.

"It's alright sweetheart, everything's just fine. You're okay," she says in a hushed tone.

I listened to her soft voice that always seemed calming in just about any given situation despite the scratchy tone. I nodded my head and swallowed. I breathed in slowly and closed my eyes.

My heart stopped beating so fast and my shaking was now a slight tremble.

She continued to whisper and I relaxed a bit when her palms rubbed my shoulder blade.

"What's wrong?" she asks and I whimper.

Silence filled the room which I recognized as the nurses office. She waited patiently for a reply. After a moment of nothing she repeats herself but all I can do is look at her. She mumbled something and sighed again.