Chapter 8: Changing Tides

Ram en' knelt upon the grass, his hands resting delicately on his powerful thighs. Idhrenohtar sat cross-legged, the palms of his hands over his knee caps and Legolas, Legolas sat against a large old oak with his eyes closed and his mind absent, for he thought on the events of the previous eve, when he had taken his vows and finally become a novice warrior.

It had been surprisingly solemn, except for the celebration that had spontaneously developed afterwards in the Eastern glade amongst the twenty new novices. Even now they were nursing their queasy stomachs and thumping heads. But Legolas' headache was not enough to cloud his memory.

Why he had cast a glance at the group of onlooking parents, sweethearts and siblings as he took his vow he could not explain, for there was no one there for him; no father, no mother, no aunt or siblings. And yet he had spotted the face of a young, Sindarin lord in fine robes who stood towards the back. His hair was of dark gold and his skin white and smooth with eyes the color of the sea. But it was not their colour that had caught Legolas' attention. It was the vague similarity in their features, that and the way the lord looked upon him. Perhaps he too, was surprised and there was no wonder, for Legolas' features were regarded as unique and although this, enigmatic lord did not have his own, admittedly strange green eyes, his face was familiar all the same.

He had shaken himself mentally, turning to rejoin his fellow novices, smiling at them as he moved to stand beside them, but try as he might he had not been able to resist one last glance at the crowd, only to find him gone.

Well he was half Sindarin himself, and was, only now, coming into contact with more elves of that race. He was physically more alike to them and that thought was refreshing, for his features had always been a cause for comment and yet now, in spite of his unique eyes, Legolas actually fit better with the Sindar than he did with the Silvan, at least in this one thing. He was not sure he liked that thought and he wondered if, perhaps, he would be allowed to wear his leather bracelets. He mentally snorted at himself for the childish idea but his left hand moved up to touch the braided leather around his right wrist, the band Amareth had given him upon his coming of age.

"Legolas."

"Um?" he responded distractedly.

"Briefing is in half an hour."

Opening his eyes, he levelled them with his two friends, his heart beginning to thump a little too fast, for the briefing would reveal their assignments, and they would finally know whether they would be together – or separated for the first time since they had knowledge of the world.

He quelled his fluttering stomach and hardened his features, but not quite skilfully enough to hide the transformation from his friends.

"The time is come then," said Legolas.

"Aye," answered Idhrenohtar slowly. "Our time together may be short, my friends, for there are only twenty of us, and seven quadrants to cover in the forest."

"The Company will be disbanded then, broken err it truly begins," said Ram en' Ondo forlornly, a sad smile stretching his lips. He visibly started though, when he saw Legolas' face move into his own line of sight.

"Never that, brother," said Legolas vigorously. "The Company can never be disbanded for it is a bond of love and respect; that cannot be changed, nobody can change that, Ram en'. If we are indeed separated, The Company will continue to learn and evolve and when the time comes, when we are all three competent, seasoned warriors, we shall come together once more and be great," he stressed, his eyes alight with the conviction that his words were true. "You will see.... When I am able, I will find you and we shall ride together – for our King and our forest, for our people," he smiled as his eyes fixed first upon Ram en' and then on Idhrenohtar.